Didn't The Man Just Get Shot?

'We had dips and falls in our time

But we know what it feels to be low then up, alone and loved

And all we need is us to go all night.'

-2step, Ed Sheeran-

Xavier 

I peeled my eyes open, the blinding white making my fucking head hurt. 

As my vision adjusted to my surroundings, my gaze was focused on the small head resting on the hospital bed, her hand gripping my fingers, softly snoring with her face turned towards me, her brown curls running down her shoulders. 

Her cheeks were red and puffy, tears glistening on her long eyelashes.

My body betrayed me and let out a small cough due to my dry throat, and my princess immediately woke up, looking around her in a frenzy. 

When her beautiful brown eyes landed on my face, they widened beyond belief, and her soft lips parted slightly before they could manage to form any words.

"Nurse, um-MY HUSBAND IS AWAKE," she yelled as loudly as possible, standing to move near to the door, but not letting go of her hold on my hand. 

I slowly sit up, and she rushes to help me, her other palm resting against my torso, holding me up. 

She placed the pillow straight behind me so I could sit up.

"How are you feeling, Xavi?" She asked, her adorable sniffles making me want to laugh and kiss her cheeks. 

I pointed to the water, and she cursed herself for forgetting before pouring me a glass and handing it to me reluctantly, eyeing my shoulder to see if I can move it. 

I gratefully emptied the glass, my throat regaining its energy to operate my voice box.

"Perfect now that I see you, love," I replied, and she placed the glass on the table, her eyes searching mine for a glimpse of any pain I may be feeling.

The door opened and a nurse walked in, smiling politely at the both of us. 

Valentina proceeded to step aside, but I tugged at her palm, holding her right beside me. 

The nurse checked the monitor and other important vitals, checking the charts and looking up with a smile.

"You're doing well, Mr. Knight. I paged Dr. Keenan and he'll be in soon," she said, and as if on cue, the doctor walked in.

"Ah, Mr. Knight. Good to see you sitting up. I'm glad to inform you that the bullet didn't cause much damage so there should be no difficulty moving your shoulder, however there will definitely be some pain and discomfort present for a month or two. I suggest not placing too much pressure on it for a week at least. Disinfecting the wound regularly and letting it heal should be the way to go," he finished off with a smile and Valentina let out a sigh of relief from beside me.