Black Is Definitely My Favourite Colour

"I wanna see inside. Would you let me see beneath your beautiful tonight?"

-Beneath Your Beautiful, Labrinth-

Valentina

The faint ticking of a clock was what I heard initially when I slowly opened my eyes. Why is my comforter silky? As my eyes adjusted to the light, I took in my surroundings, almost doing a double take at how big this room is. Where am I? The walls were a sleek matte black and so was the bedding, and the room was complete with a walk-in closet, a sofa set and seemingly expensive decoration. The door opened and I stood up, a little too fast and so the room began spinning slightly again, and I lost my balance, only to feel strong, muscular arms hold me close. I looked up to meet familiar dark eyes, laced with worry, pain and anger.

"Mr. Knight?" I ask, my brain not being able to process so many changes at once.

"Sit, Valentina," he placed me on the bed and put the comforter on me, tucking my legs inside.

"Where are we?" I asked, my hand on his arm as he steadied me onto the bed.

"This is my room," he replied, sitting opposite me.

"This is just your room? It looks big enough for an entire apartment," I mumbled, looking around in awe. 

Mr. Knight tucked his finger under my chin and turned my face towards him.

"You haven't eaten anything for three fucking days?"

I froze in my position and he searched my face for an answer, but it seemed like he already knew what I was going to say.

"No," I whispered, my answer barely audible to myself. His eyes immediately flooded with pain as he tried to control his anger.

"Why?" He demanded. I decided I should tell him, also because his anger seemed kind of dangerous to me.

"Um-well, I came here from home with a limited amount of money I earned, you see. So, that ran out a while ago, and I didn't have anything left to get some groceries. I was about to go today itself, I promise, because my salary came in," I explained, looking down at my hands placed on my lap. Mr. Knight let out a sigh, and suddenly took one of my hands, engulfing it into his big, strong ones.

"Why didn't you tell me, Valentina?" He asked, almost pleading me to explain why I never considered telling him about it.

"It isn't a big deal, Mr. Knight. I've gone without meals longer before anyway," I said, immediately regretting what I admitted. Mr. Knight's expression turned livid as he looked right into my eyes.

"What the fuck?" He growled, and I gulped, slightly scared of the look in his eyes.

"Could you please direct me to the supermarket from here? I can manage everything from here," I stated, standing up. Without warning, Mr. Knight picked me up in his arms bridal style, and I felt too weak to resist.

"Sure, babygirl. You can 'manage' shit later," he said, carrying me out of the room to reveal a majestic house. No, definitely a mansion. He walked down the stairs and entered the kitchen, setting me on the counter. Now I would have got down and escaped, but I was still lightheaded, and barely able to sit up because of the weakness. Maybe my body has had enough. The work at the office every day without food might have been more than I can handle. He began taking out boxes from the fridge and placing them on the other counter. I watched him move around the kitchen, take out a plate and fill a glass with cold water. He picked me up again, not that I was complaining, and placed me on the chair near the dining table.