She Walks Into A New Life

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

-Closing Time, Semisonic-

The suitcases were stowed away carefully in the storage cupboard and I finished setting up the kitchen. The comfortable sofa was a blessing as I sat on it to admire my surroundings. This two-bedroom apartment I found after months of searching was not the best, but it was definitely beautiful. For someone who just moved into her first house alone, this place seemed divine. Whatever the case, I'm finally glad to have moved out of my uncle's place. The nightmare has ended. It's a different city, a different house, and a new life. Sometimes I wonder how I mustered up the courage to get myself to reach here. A few years ago, just the thought of being free used to seem like a mere fantasy.

The bruise on my neck was fading, I noticed as I wrapped the scarf around it. However, the disgusting hickeys lining my shoulder were prominent. After last night, I cannot bring myself to cry anymore. I feel pain, but I've cried too much already. I curse the day my parents died, and the day I survived. My uncle took me in at the age of 5, and the nightmare began soon after. The abuse developed over time, from the occasional slap to a few broken ribs. But, as the days passed and his son grew up, I cowered in fear every night, hoping he doesn't take it too far today. The first time he forcefully held me down to kiss me, I screamed and thrashed around, hoping someone would stop him. They ignored my cries. Yesterday, however, he had already tied me to the bed, and I was weak since my last proper meal was a few days ago. He groped me as I recoiled, screaming out for him to stop, begging for someone else to stop him. Eventually he was too drunk to continue and had to leave. But how long do I let this continue? How long do I live in fear that one day he'll go too far, and I'll be violated beyond my worst imagination? I had to put my plan in motion. Soon.

It wasn't an easy journey from there. I had worked in a few diners to earn a decent amount of money which I saved diligently. Our previous housekeeper, Mrs. Brown was an amazing help to me. She knew all about my condition and was fired for trying to explain my uncle what he was doing was wrong. But she reached out to me soon after and told me about getting in touch with an acquaintance who could get me a house and arrange a job for me as well in a different city. Then it was just a matter of time. 

I bought my ticket and packed all my belongings, which barely consisted of two suitcases. I arranged a flight late at night, and when my uncle and Michael were both drunk and passed out, I finally made it through the front door. Not to go to school or groceries, but to my freedom. 

I could never afford an entire place on my own so Mrs. Brown's friend arranged for me to live here, where the landlord would soon arrange for a roommate for me. It really didn't bother me, since the only thing on my mind was securing a job and making a life of my own. I have to make this second chance at life count.

I stood in front of Knight Industries; my head held high but my confidence wavering. I've never sat for an interview before, and I had no idea what to say or do. I know I have to have a little more faith in myself if I am to be living alone, but it seems difficult to survive in the real world. 

I straightened out my black skirt, which I had paired with a black blouse. Mrs. Brown had suggested to keep a few buttons at the top open because according to her my chest is quite blessed. Sometimes she is like a strict mother, and sometimes she is like a girlfriend who you could take to parties. However, she's all I have and I'm really lucky to have her as a friend in my life. I untied my hair and let the curls fall to my waist, feeling a bit more confident since I definitely look like a secretary.