Twenty Eight

Life felt as though it is moving in slow motion. Sophie stared out of her window trying to fight off her new cravings, She knew they had to return tomorrow or Draconian would raise the mountain her home resides on.

     She can't help the anxiety that grips her heart in a tight suffocating hold. Her girls are her family. The only one she has left but now Raphael has bonded him to her. He's become apart of that family along the way and she can't help but be afraid her friends will behold her with disappointment if they know she's alive.

     If they don't know, then she'll know they will feel betrayed; both scenarios make her want to hide underneath the protections of her blankets, but that's not her. Sophie doesn't cower even when the outcome isn't desired.

    Sophie can feel his presence behind her and sees his reflection in the window. The vast sky filled to the brim with stars watches them with a loud silence.

   "Sophie-" Raphael starts.

    "I don't trust you. You haven't really given me a reason to. I ask for the truth and you withhold all the important bits, making me seem like a fool." She turns to face him, "How are we supposed to spend a lifetime together when I can't trust you?"

    He stares at her. His eyes clouded with turmoil and his jaw clenched with clumsy apprehension. This human is uncharted territory for him. He wants her and he's willing to do anything for her. He thinks he's made his intentions clear but he wasn't expecting such depth.

   The others never warned him of such a deep connection or how to nurture it with conversation or trust. He's blind, stumbling down an unfamiliar path; hoping she'll just tell him what she wants so he's not mindlessly guessing and constantly getting in wrong.

   "What do you want Sophie?" The question takes her by surprise and her face softens a bit.

    "What?" Sophie mumbles.

    "You heard me." He taps on her ears indicating she did in fact hear him. "What do you desire?" His head tilts.

     She takes a deep breath and releases it with her words. "Peace. Honesty. Loyalty. Love. Friendship. Trust. Happiness. Even sadness occasionally." She turns away from him again.

    "I read in an article once, that sadness, crying mostly, relieves the soul. Cleanses it in a way."

     "Be patient with me?" He asks softly caging her in his large embrace.

      Sophie leans back against him and closes her eyes.

     "I don't really have a choice now, do I?"

————————————————————————-

    "Bastard."

     "Unfitting."

     "Prick."

     "Definitely."

     "Cock sucker?"

     "My favorite."

       "Fuck."

       Draconian hisses as the words slip off Ana's tongue. She smirks triumphantly at finding a curse word that messes with him.

      "Have you not tormented him enough?" Kitsch watches the strange encounter with a confused expression.

Veil shakes his head, "I believe this is referred to as the "trial period". Where the male must prove his worth after failing to meet the woman's standards. 'Begging for forgiveness.' Quite entertaining, I must admit." Veil snorts happily.