Thirty Three

Six months have passed but the pain isn't gone. Ana and Draconian have found a similar comfort within one another but the pain they share still haunts them day and night. If Ana isn't awaking with nightmares of their babe, then it's Draconian, who is.

     Through it all they push on; their friends helping them push through everyday tasks. Being queen doesn't allow her any solace. She must be there for her people and the only time she's allowed herself to mourn is in the comfort of their rooms at night.

    Draconian follows her around; just as lost as she. They whisper to each other at nights, talking about what could have been and of a name that must be placed on his grave. Carys. Which means 'to love' in Irish.

    A tribute to her mother who she desperately wishes to see. She would know exactly what to say. She would wrap her in a warm embrace filled with love and all of Ana's fears would dissipate.

    She's sent Joan, Mia, and Chron to Earth to look for survivors and she sends a silent prayer that her mother and stepfather will be among them.

   Her heart feels like an empty hole and she knows she can't take anymore of her loved ones dying. When she's not holed up with Draconian in their rooms, she's curled up with Sophie in her bed. Sophie tells her all about where she's been and what's happened. It takes her mind off of Carys. It numbs her to the pain for a little bit.

   While she's so relieved her friend is alive she can't help but worry for Sophie. She speaks of nightmares and an unimaginable hunger that's only sated for a week at most when she feeds.

   "I feel like a fucking vampire." Sophie laughs and so does Ana.

   When she never thought she'd laugh again, she does and it brings relief but a reminder that weighs oh so heavy on her being.

  Sophie notices the shift in her mood and squeezes her closer. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

   Ana blinks away her tears. "Not yet."

  Sophie nods and they lay there in silence merely soaking up each other's warmth and the comfort they both bring to one another.

—————————————————————————————

Joan paces nervously in front of Mia aboard a ship that sails through the stars heading towards their home planet. While both girls are extremely excited they are also apprehensive about what awaits them.

"Oh for fucks sake stop pacing." Mia rubs her temples.

"I'm sorry! I can't help it." She stops and stares nervously at Mia. "Chron and I are getting married."

Mia jumps up and hugs her friend, "That's wonderful news!"

Joan makes a face.

"Isn't it?"

"It is but..." Joan sighs, "there will never be a good time to tell her."

Mia arches an eyebrow. "Ana?"

Joan nods sadly. "How am I allowed to be so happy after she's went through something so awful?"

Mia smiles sadly. "You shouldn't think like that. You know Ana doesn't blame anyone for Carys death. And yes it's horrible and so fucking sad but it's not your job to stop your life. In fact I know Ana would hate us if we did."

Joan nods. "So I should tell her?"

"Of course, I wouldn't do so right now, but the sooner the better. If you're going to wait until she's done mourning then you'll be waiting forever and you know she wouldn't want that for any of us."