Twenty

"What necklace?"

San's heart cracked every time Wooyoung didn't remember something that was important to them, but he had to hide to not hurt his feelings.

"The rose pendant...your mother's necklace."

"My mother's?"

San took off the necklace and placed it in Wooyoung's hands. "Here..."

Wooyoung inspected the pendant with shaky hands before dropping it.

San's heart sank when it hit the floor, quickly picking it with a relieved sigh. "It's fine..."

"S-Sorry..."

The silence he received made him even more nervous.

"Can I go rest?"

San could only stare at him, mind loud with unpleasant thoughts. "Sure...I'll stay up for a little longer..."

He looked down at the necklace in his hand, touching it gently.

"Something doesn't feel right..." he murmured to himself. "But I have him back...nothing else matters..."

His tears escaped his eyes and landed on his hand as memories of that day came back to him.

"Why am I crying now...he's back..."

San quickly wiped his tears and got up to clean the table.

Wooyoung stirred in bed, unable to sleep as guilt started eating at him, he wanted to go and tell San the truth immediately.

But it would make him lose everything...

And be on the streets again.

He tried convincing himself that he's doing good, and that both of them are happy, so what's the harm in continuing like this?

"You're still awake..."

Wooyoung quickly sat up when he heard San. "Y-Yes..."

San sighed, going to sit on the edge of the bed. "Please don't be upset about earlier...I'm sure you'll remember eventually..."

Wooyoung's heart sank. He'll never remember.

"Can you tell me about the necklace?"

San looked down at the pendant in his hand, smiling slightly. "It was your mother's...she gave it to you before passing away...and promised to be your guardian angel... which she was...until you gave it to me..." San had to pause to swallow the lump in his throat. "You gave it to me before going on the plane...I'm still mad at you for it...because she saved me from a horrible accident, but couldn't save you..."

Wooyoung felt like crying as well. San wasn't just grieving his gone lover all this time, he was also feeling guilty for taking the necklace and surviving instead of him.

"The voice message that you sent-" San couldn't continue anymore as a sob escaped his control.

Wooyoung slowly moved closer and wrapped his arms around him. "It's okay...I'm here now..."

Wooyoung didn't hesitate to lie this time, If it means it will make San happy, then be it.

He was a little surprised when San began crying like a baby on his shoulder, he could almost feel the pain in his heart.

"It's okay..." he rubbed soothing circles on his back, hoping it would calm him.

"You don't realize...h-how painful it w-was..."

Wooyoung's tears spilled this time, losing his control over them as he held San tighter.

The more he felt San's love for that dead person, the more it hurt him to tell the truth.

To leave.

It was suddenly not about him.

Not about losing all of this.

But about making San believe he has his lover back.

It was so heartbreaking it changed his mind immediately.

He pulled San onto the bed and laid him down in his arms.

It only took a few minutes for the crying boy to go quiet and fall asleep.

Wooyoung sighed and laid next to him.

He again wished he could see his face, but that wish was never granted.

"He's so lucky to have you...to have this big love of yours..." he sighed. "I wish I was that lucky..." Wooyoung whispered, before closing his eyes and drifting to sleep as well.

Wooyoung woke up to a gentle finger stroking over his lips.

He naturally moved his head back.

"Good morning..." San gently greeted.

"Good morning."  Wooyoung turned his head. The idea of San spending the morning staring at him was scary.

He would find out so many details that aren't his lover's.

San smiled. "Did you sleep well?"

"I did...surprisingly...I always do when you're next to me..."

It wasn't usual of him to show vulnerability, but he felt that in this case, it makes his lie more convincing.

"That's...really good...you'll get good sleep every night."

Wooyoung smiled a little and nodded.

"I'll go make breakfast." San announced as he moved to get up.

"Aren't we going to work?"

"It's the weekend, we don't have to open early."

"Ah...I see-" he paused when he felt a kiss on his cheek.

"Wash up and come to the kitchen!" San called after making his way out of the room.

Wooyoung sighed, touching his cheek. He couldn't enjoy any of this affection.

-

"Is the food good?" San asked, cheerfully.
To which he received a nod.

"It was one of your favorite foods."

Wooyoung cracked a smile. "Really?"

Playing as someone he's not was starting to get tiring.

Especially that San was trying so hard to remind him of their past together.

Which to him, never happened.

"How about we go out tonight? I'll plan something like our first date!"

Wooyoung almost choked on his food. "D-Date?" He quickly grabbed the glass of water on the table and chugged it.

San blinked a few times at him. "Yeah? It will help you regian some memories I'm sure." He smiled again.

"What if it doesn't?"

San chuckled. "Don't ever worry about that, I'm taking you to a professional doctor soon anyway."

Doctor..?!!

*******************
A/N: hope the story isn't getting too confusing and hope you're enjoying it!

What do you think will happen next?
Is this Wooyoung really San's boyfriend?