9| DEATH SPIRAL SMACKDOWN

In the morning, Harper made her way to the Davenport mansion

In the morning, Harper made her way to the Davenport mansion. She was casually dressed in a red plaid shirt, ripped black skinny jeans and combat boots.

Upon entering the mansion, Harper saw Bree and Chase sitting at the counter, with Leo standing on the other side.

"Good morning, everyone." Harper greeted as she walked over to the kitchen.

Chase smiled. "Hey, Harper."

"After school today is the big spiral smackdown." Leo informed, grabbing milk and orange juice from the fridge. He returned to the counter. "Me and Adam are gonna unleash the fury! You guys gonna come watch?"

"We'd love to, but we're gonna go to the mall and check out the escalator. I finally mastered the art of stepping off without tripping." Chase said with a wide smile.

"Ooh, um, were we supposed to do that today? Shoot, I... I can't make it. I have a really big test to study for." Bree told her brother.

"What?" Chase asked in shock, slumping down and sighed. "Okay, fine. I just hope those old ladies are there again to clap for me."

Leo then opened a glass container of cereal. "Never had this cereal before."

"No, Leo!" Bree yelled, stopping him from eating the cereal. "Those are power pellets."

"I don't care what they're called, as long as they make my milk chocolaty." Leo responded, smiling.

"No. They're bite-sized pieces of adrenaline that activate our bionics." Chase explained.

"Yeah, but we don't eat them anymore because we learned how to activate them ourselves." Bree added.

"They taste like dog treats without the livery aftertaste." Chase said, laughing then stopped when he noticed Bree, Harper and Leo's pointed look. "I'm guessing."

"Fine, I guess I'll just have these." Leo said as he grabbed another box of cereal.

"Careful, Leo!" Chase exclaimed, snatching the cereal box from his hands. "Those are Powdered Sugar Cookie Donut O's. Studies have shown they slow down your brain activity."

Adam walked into the kitchen and gasped. "Yummy Powdered Sugar Cookie Donut O's!"

Bree and Chase exchanged a look before they rose from the counter and began to walk out of the living room. Harper decided to follow them.

"Chase, if you want, I can go to the mall with you." Harper offered, smiling softly.

Chase smiled at Harper. "Yeah, great!"

••••

Harper slung her bag strap over her shoulder as she and Chase walked through the school hallway.

Chase had felt lost and lonely in the vast world until Harper came into his life. She became his best friend and he now felt connected to the world.

Their friendship brought joy and hope to his life, and he prayed that nothing would ever destroy it.