29| SPIKE'S GOT TALENT

Harper had never cared if she was recognized or not

Harper had never cared if she was recognized or not. All she wanted to do was go to school, get good grades, and be with her friends. The thought of everyone liking her never crossed her mind, she often minded her own business skipping around the school with a bright smile.

She peered over Leo's shoulder examining the school yearbook in Adam's hands.

"Did you guys see the yearbook?" Chase questioned as he ran between Adam and Harper with another yearbook in his hands. "Everybody but me got a 'Most Likely to' even Leo!"

"What? Let me see that." Leo insisted, snatching the book from Chase's hands. "'Most likely never to get a most likely.' I'm on the board!"

Harper read hers at the bottom of the page. "'Most likely to get straight As on all her assignments."

Chase pouted. "Well, that proves it. I'm completely invisible at this school."

"Chase, that's not true." Adam assured. "If you were invisible, I couldn't do this."

Adam punched his shoulder, knocking him into Harper who then bumped into Leo. Chase clutched his shoulder in pain as his older brother walked away.

"Chase, just because you weren't nominated doesn't mean you're invisible." Bree pointed out as she sat on the hallway's centre circle bench beside Owen.

"Oh, really? Yeah? What's this?" Chase demanded, shoving the yearbook in front of Bree's face. "'Chip Davenport'. I'm a misnamed question mark!"

"Listen up, snot-buckets!" Principal Perry called as she hustled into the hall, holding a piece of paper in her hand. "Don't forget to sign up for the annual Mission Creek High talent show. Auditions are after school, and we'll be judged by moi. Chances are that if I don't like you, you won't get through, and I don't like any of you, so good luck."

"Talent shows are wrong!" Owen exclaimed as he stood up from his spot on the circular bench and strolled towards Perry, who stapled the sign-up sheet on the wall. "There are no winners or losers in creative expression."

Perry scoffed. "Stick a paintbrush in it, Emo Sabe!"

Agape, Owen turned back to face Bree, Chase, Leo and Harper. "I refuse to stand by while that woman crushes the artistic souls of our student body. I'm gonna go sketch my feelings."

With that, he marched away from the group. The four teenagers watched as he left.

Bree dreamily sighed. "He is so tortured. Isn't it great?"

"To some people maybe." Harper replied.

Bree gave her a smile before she walked away, leaving Chase, Leo and Harper in the middle of the hallway.

"This talent show is the perfect opportunity for me to build my fan base." Leo beamed.

"What fanbase?" Harper wondered.