15| DUDE, WHERE'S MY LAB?

In the morning, Tasha held a tray of snacks and cups while Harper carried a jug of fresh lemonade in her left hand

The lab's automatic doors opened, revealing Adam, Bree and Chase with a brace around their necks. Mr. Davenport and Leo stood beside a pop-up desk monitoring their movement.

"We're doing some routine bionic chip maintenance. Besides, this is fun, right, guys?" Mr. Davenport asked the bionic siblings.

"Good times."

"A blast."

"Okay, are we done here? I wanna go be normal for a while!" Bree exclaimed, removing the brace and chucked it at the desk.

The desk sparked, causing to drop the snacks and cups in her hands onto the ground.

"Can't we go just five minutes without something sparking, exploding, or oozing around here?!" Tasha exclaimed. "Ever since summer vacation started, it has been like one long science experiment."

"I'm sorry, honey." Mr. Davenport apologized, holding her hands. "I... you know... maybe... maybe Leo's right. Maybe we need to take a break and go to the beach."

"Oh!" Adam shouted in excitement.

"Yeah!" Bree cheered.

"We'll take a whole weekend, as a normal family. You know? No gadgets, no phones. We'll do it totally tech-free." Mr. Davenport added.

Harper was down on the ground, picking up the chips along with, Chase, Bree and Leo.

"That is exactly what I need. You would really do that for me?" Tasha asked.

"Of course. You are way more important to me than the amazing innovation born of my genius." Mr. Davenport assured.

Tasha gave her husband a smile and left the lab to get her things ready.

Leo picked up the tray and stood up. "Wow, Big D, it's really nice of you to blow off work for my mum."

"Well, you know, Leo, now and then, everybody needs a little peace and...." Then all of a sudden, a klaxon alarm blared, interrupting Mr. Davenport. "Quiet!"

The group immediately dropped their tasks and walked to the cyber-desk.

"It's the early warning satellite system." Chase informed.

"It's detecting a giant solar flare. When that thing hits the atmosphere, it'll cause massive power failures and a total blackout of satellite communications." Mr. Davenport explained.

"Okay, I should tell my mum we're not going to the beach, then." Leo insisted.

"No, no, no, no. Don't tell your mum a thing about this." Mr. Davenport told his stepson.

"Oh, right. Let's just ignore the biggest solar flare in history, to keep the little lady happy." Chase said with a sarcastic smile.

"Don't worry about the solar flare. I'll handle it. Just pack your stuff in the R.V. Harper, we'll come pick you up." Mr. Davenport offered.