31| HOLE IN ONE

At the Davenport mansion, Mr

At the Davenport mansion, Mr. Davenport gathered the teenagers into the great room. Curiosity sparked in Harper's eyes as they entered, their attention drawn to an object covered by a grey tarp.

"Hey, guys, check this out. I picked this up at auction today, and it only cost me a million dollars." Mr. Davenport announced proudly.

Harper stood next to Chase as they all gathered around the mysterious object hidden under the tarp.

"For a sheet?" Adam asked, puzzled. "Boy, I guess I'd better start saving up if I'm gonna be a ghost for Halloween.

"It's a painting, Adam, by a very famous artist named Von Schtopp." Mr. Davenport clarified as he unveiled the warm-multicoloured abstract painting.

"Hmm." Leo mused. "I wish I would have been there to 'Von Schtopp' you from buying it."

Harper couldn't help but chuckle while Mr. Davenport shot a glare at Leo.

"What is it?" Adam inquired.

"It's abstract art, Adam. It's whatever you think it is." Mr. Davenport explained.

Bree tilted her head, studying the painting. "I think it's a crying woman."

Harper pursed her lips. "It kinda looks like two bears fighting over a fish."

"I think it's a storm at sea." Chase added

"I think someone just blew a million bucks." Leo quipped.

Just then, Mr. Davenport's phone rang loudly.

Mr. Davenport retrieved his phone from his pocket. "That's me. Davenport Industries." He said, pointing to himself before answering the call. "Hello? Uh-huh. Oh, boy. All right." He hung up. "Looks like I've got to put out a fire at work."

"What happened?" Chase asked.

"Betty from accounting got her head caught in the positron collider again." He replied.

Harper raised her eyebrows. "Again?"

"Yeah, that's gonna be messy." Mr. Davenport remarked as he headed towards the front door. "Can you guys put that in the art vault for me?"

"Wait, you have an art vault?" Leo questioned, turning to his stepdad.

"When are you guys gonna learn? I have a everything." Mr. Davenport chuckled. "But whatever you do, do not touch the Davenportraits."

"What's a Davenportrait?" Harper wondered.

••••

Harper expected Mr. Davenport to have a lot of anomalous things, but an art room full of coped paintings with his face painted on them was unexpected.

You could say that Mr. Davenport was either very eccentric or very conceited after encountering his secret art vault above the lab.

Agape, Leo had his hands on his cheeks, mimicking the iconic The Scream painting.