36| MEMORY WIPE

It had been a few weeks since the showdown with Marcus and Douglas

Harper had caught Lyla up on everything.

At first, Lyla did not take it lightly, especially when Harper informed her that she and Leo had jumped into an active recycling center to rescue Adam, Bree and Chase.

All time times she had let Harper go over, she thought her little sister was safe, but in reality, she had been close to death about eight times, from malfunctioning robots to a gas leak to a psychotic android.

Harper wouldn't stop talking the entire time because now that Lyla knew of Adam, Bree and Chase's bionic secret, she could let out everything she had bottled in. Harper had to give a very detailed explanation of how she was fine and survived all those times.

Lyla was distraught but soon left as Harper explained with a smile the ridiculous and non-deadly situations they were in most of the time, thankfully. In fact, she let out a laugh at how they dealt with things during those moments.

From the stories, she could tell how important the Davenport-Dooley family was to Harper. She couldn't tear her away from them without tearing a whole chunk of her life away.

Then there was the situation between Harper and Chase.

The two of them hadn't said anything to anyone about what happened down in the lab a few weeks ago. There was now a slight awkward tension between them, not knowing what to say to one another.

••••

When Harper received a phone call from Leo, the last thing she expected him to say was that Mr. Davenport's memory had been wiped.

Initially, she thought he had lost his memories from the past couple of days. However, when Leo added that he had erased twenty-four years of Mr. Davenport's life and went into detail, she became more freaked out.

"What?! He's building a rocket chair?!" Harper exclaimed in shock.

"Just get here quick and help me!" Leo yelled before hanging up.

Harper stared down at her phone as it beeped, signaling the call had ended.

Instead of hesitating, she rushed to the shed, grabbed her bike and peddled to her best friend's home.

••••

Once Harper arrived at the Davenport mansion, she hurried into the house and couldn't find anyone in the living room. She wandered around, trying to figure out where everyone had gone.

She then entered the elevator and pressed the button for the lab. Leaning against the wall, she felt the elevator descend rapidly. It dinged when it reached the floor.

Stepping out of the elevator, Harper saw Adam, Bree, Chase, Leo and Mr. Davenport gathered around the cyber desk. Wires protruded from scraps and disassembled tech scattered across the lab.