32| TRUCKED OUT

The sky was clear, painted light blue all the way to the horizon

The sky was clear, painted light blue all the way to the horizon. Not a single cloud floating in the sky, and the wind, barely noticeable.

In the Davenport mansion, the teenagers gathered in the living room. Leo was anxiously waiting for Adam to return from his driving test. Bree was engrossed in a magazine, Harper was studying history with her books and papers spread out over the table, and Chase was occupied with his phone.

"I can't believe Adam's not back from his driving test." Leo complained as he walked over to the couch. "What's taking him so long?"

Bree sighed and looked up from her magazine. "Two words: Adam. Test."

"Man, if he passes, it's good news for us and bad news for everyone on the road. Or the sidewalk." Chase joked, chuckling lightly.

"He'll do fine." Harper reassured. "I mean, no state requires you to achieve a perfect score. You can make some minor mistakes during the pre-drive portion of the test and again during the drive without necessarily failing the test."

"Well, he has to pass. I need him to drive me to that party on Saturday." Leo said.

"What party?" Chase inquired.

Leo chuckled. "The one you weren't invited to."

"I was invited too." Harper chimed in as she wrote notes in her notebook.

"You got invited to Caroline Davis' party and I didn't?" Bree asked incredulously "I mean, Harper I get, but you?"

"Neither did I!" Chase added.

"Well, no surprise there." Bree retorted before returning her attention back to Leo. "But why were you invited?"

"Oh, Bree, I'm climbing the social ladder. There are now three or four ladies who make eye contact with me in the hallway." Leo explained. Harper dropped her pen and stared at him with raised eyebrows. "Okay, it's two! But I'm going to the party."

"Bree, if it helps... I don't plan on going to the party." Harper admitted. "I mean, I have to study for this upcoming science test which is worth half of my grade."

"Would you like some help?" Chase offered.

Harper glanced over at him and smiled tightly. "Yeah... that would be great. Thanks, Chase."

The front door began to open.

"He's home!" Bree exclaimed excitedly.

The four teens stood up, enthusiastically but groaned and collapsed back down on the couch when Tasha walked inside.

"It's just you." Leo groaned.

"Nice to see you, too." Tasha said sarcastically.

"Sorry, mum." He apologized. "How's it going?"

Tasha smiled. "Great. I've had the best day. It all started when-"

She was then cut off when the front door opened.