Baking With You

💗 : Driam
.
.
.

"Are you okay?"

Drew only spared him one glance, instantly going back to his video game. "When am I ever? I'm always stressed."

"Yeah but, you look more annoyed than usual today."

"It's just the normal. Jake hanging out with the freaks, probably kissing Hailey."

"Oh."

Liam glanced away, almost a bit shy. Drew wouldn't judge him, right?

No, of course not. They're best friends, he would never.

"If you want to, we can, you know, bake together."

Drew paused. "Hm? Where did that come from?"

Liam flushed. "Oh, it's like a hobby of mine. I like to bake when I'm stressed, helps me take my mind off stuff."

Drew pondered over it. He's never tried baking, but... "Yeah, sure." Drew smiled. Doesn't hurt to try, right?

Liam lightened up, his smile immediately diminishing any hints of bad mood Drew had. "Let's go then!"

"Why do you have so many appliances?" Drew questioned, watching Liam bring out items from cabinets.

"I have everything I need and even some things I'd probably not need, just in case I might need them." He pointed his spatula at Drew. "Or in case I want to bake with a buddy." He winked playfully.

"Here, put this on—" he tossed an apron to Drew "—you don't want to get your expensive outfit dirty now do you?"

Drew's black hoodie was nowhere near expensive and they both knew it, but he played along. "Yeah, yeah."

Liam got a bowl and poured flour and other ingredients into it, chatting away as he did so. He explained even basic ingredients and what they do, Drew asking some questions as he talked. Liam was almost surprised by how attentive he was.

"Now we have to stir it to make sure it's all mixed to a good consistency." He suddenly slid the bowl over to Drew. "How about you do it? I can't be the only one working."

"But what if I do it wrong?"

"If you do I can always help you." Liam shrugged.

Drew hesitantly grabbed the mixer, turning it on and mixing the batter. As this was his first time baking, he wasn't mixing it all together, leaving out a lot of the sides.

"Wait, let me help you."

Drew expected Liam to take the mixer from him to show him but instead, Liam stood behind behind Drew, holding his right arm. "Look, you're supposed to do it like this." He moved it faster, making sure to mix it all.

Drew meanwhile wasn't sure if he was breathing anymore. "You have to make sure it's the right consistency." Liam continued moving his hand.

"I— yeah..."

Liam suddenly realized what he was doing, almost jumping away from Drew. "Oh God— sorry!"

Damn it, he just had to make it awkward, didn't he?

"It's okay!" Drew reassured. "You were just trying to help and well— yeah..." He didn't know what to say, but really, he genuinely didn't mind it.

Liam nodded. "Well the batter is almost mixed. You think you can mix it on your own now?"

"Yeah."

If you're still here with me, I don't think I have to be nervous about anything.

"The frosting is done." Liam looked at the timer. "The cake will be done in just a bit."

Drew took a bit of the frosting on his finger to taste, Liam whining as he did so. "Ooh, this is good."

"Hey! You were supposed to wait until the cake is done baking." Liam pouted. "Take this—"

Liam smudged a bit of frosting on Drew's cheek, making him laugh. Drew smirked. "You wanna play like that huh?"

It soon turned into a battle of frosting, them playfully smudging the cream onto each other's faces. The sudden ring of the timer shook them out of their enjoyment, indicating that the cake was ready.

Liam looked at the bowl of frosting, relieved to find still enough frosting left to decorate the cake. "Go wash your face." Liam glanced at Drew's face, the cream still sticking to it.

Drew nodded excitedly. He can't wait to decorate the cake together.

"...there!"

"It looks great," Liam complimented, "wow, your writing is still great even with frosting."

Drew blushed a little, rubbing the back of his neck with a shy grin. "Thanks."

"Let me just take a picture of it and then we can eat it," Liam said, grabbing his phone.

Drew raised an eyebrow. "A picture? Why? You don't post any of it on Instagram usually."

Liam places his phone aside again after taking the picture. "Yeah, but I don't just eat it after baking. I also keep a collection of all my creations, you know?"

Liam cuts two pieces of cake, Drew nodding at his words. "Here, open your mouth."

Drew looked at him confused, slowly opening his mouth as instructed. It should've been obvious, but Drew wasn't at all ready for Liam to feed him the cake, his fingers brushing Drew's lips.

"So?" Liam prompted, looking expectantly at a very flustered Drew trying to chew the cake and not think about the lingering feeling of Liam's touch on his lips. "How is it?"

Despite his flustered state, Drew could very well taste the cake. And it was amazing.

"It tastes great," Drew said, taking another slice to feed himself more. It turned out a lot better than what he expected.

"You bake great, Liam," Drew told him, savoring the way Liam's eyes shone even brighter, his happy smile. In all honesty, he looked like a puppy seeing their owner.

"Aww Drewy, you're so sweet," Liam teased, making Drew laugh out loud.

"Oh, you don't know me at all." Liam looked confused until Drew took more frosting to put on Liam's face. "Hey!"

And they spent their evening like that, playing with frosting and eating cake, completely in their own world, losing track of time. Before Drew knew it, it was 9 pm, and he had to go home.

"Awh man," Liam whined, "I wanted to show you more baking." He seemed a lot more keen on baking with Drew now.

"It's okay, we can do it next time," Drew comforted, "I'm going to go now though. See you at school."

"Okay, see you!"

Drew left the house feeling a lot happier than he was in the morning. He hoped he'd be able to bake with Liam again soon.