Still Here With Me

💛 : Lander
.
.
.

One thing Luke didn't expect on Valentine's Day was to come across his ex sitting on a bench at a park, sulking. But you know what they say, fate has mysterious ways.

"Zander? What are you doing here? Didn't you have a date?"

Zander scoffed, not bothering to look at Luke. "That bitch stood me up."

"Oh.."

Silence. Luke wasn't sure what to do, if he should do something, because this was his ex he's talking to.

But this was still his best friend, someone he'd vowed to protect since they were 12. No matter the changes, he will protect Zander.

He sat down beside Zander, who stayed quiet. Luke slowly put his hand on Zander's shoulder, anticipating being pushed away, but was pleasantly surprised when Zander leaned into his touch.

"I... I really liked him, Luke."

"I know," Luke mumbled, "some people just don't know that they're missing out on the best thing in their life. You lost someone who never cared, but he lost someone who'd love him and treat him well. It's his loss." He looked into Zander's glassy eyes, and felt himself smile despite himself. "Now stop crying, you know I hate seeing you sad."

Zander cracked a small smile, hesitating just a little before he enveloped Luke in a hug, sniffling softly.

"Thank you."

"Shut up, you know I can't leave you to suffer despite everything."

What everything? Nothing's changed. We're still best friends, and you're still here protecting me. It's exactly as it should be.