Chapter 16

*Little Doodle I drew at school for this chapter. Been wanting to draw a snapshot for each episode since I began but haven't been able too :[

Chapter 16
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
A Step Away
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Coiny's P.O.V:

I ran my hand through my hair. I was ready. Almost at least.

A heavy sigh threatened to leave my throat as I hung my head over the kitchen sink, the pearl white tiles cold to the touch. I felt the warm air of the house clog my breath. The chilly breeze hit my hand as I opened the kitchen window softly, trying my best to stay silent.

The questions ran through my head without a stop, yelling and whispering, trying to reason with me. Soft murmurs of thoughts whisked in my brain.

Don't.

You'll regret this!

Is she worth the hassle?

I was a jumbled mess. A mess of a puzzle that was wishing to piece itself together. I let out the sigh stuck in my throat, hunching over the kitchen sink, hair bunched into the palm of my hand.

Please don't do this. We know how it'll end.

I knew. I truly knew. Hearing my reasoning and emotions struggle and argue with each other on what to do was annoying. Constant disagreements. It was like that for a week. Just me arguing with myself for hours in silence.

It was a ripple effect. She was a ripple effect. Everything that girl did lead down a road of wrong-doing. She was a tsunami of emotions to everyone.

But my emotions had won. She needs it. She deserves it.

I bit my lip, concern still ringing in my head.

I reached out for a cup in the mahogany cabinet, closing it. I flicked open the faucet, water pouring into the cup. Turning the tap off, I took a sip as my mind contemplated how to go about it.

Meeting up with her was one thing. But stealing from the pantry was another. Even more so when I would hand over the stolen goods to Leafy. It was a crime-though not written on paper-that loomed over my head. Fear etched into my skin. I sat the cup down, turning my attention to the clock on the wall.

1:08 a.m.

It was now or never.

I shook my head, suppressing my thoughts that shouted for attention.

Without thinking about it, I headed back to my room.

Jacket on, I slipped on my shoes, smudges of dried dirt smeared over the heel of the shoes. The white dress shirt made me feel grand as I clasped the last button together like I was heading to a ball. Casual yet formal. With a faded smile on my face, I turned to the mirror. I combed my hair with my hands; my eyes stuck on the glass as I tried fixing my hair. Never had I realized how easy it was for my hair to get tangled.

I didn't look too special, but I looked like I was attending a school festivity; awkward.

I turned my sight to the alarm clock on my nightstand. 1:26 am.

It was getting too late. I had less than 20 minutes to get to the pantry. And less than 40 to get to Leafy. A nervous fiddle with the edge of my sweater. I sighed, picking up an old backpack I had left prepared. I made my way to the door with a heavy head. Every speck of me saying no. But I wanted to. Hand on the doorknob, I pushed it open.