Chapter 27

Chapter 27
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Baking With the Truth
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Third Person P.O.V:

Patiently anticipating his arrival, she paced back and forth across the living room. The thick smell of baked goods filled the house, something she hadn't experienced since... what? Early BFDI? And it would be a lie to say that she didn't feel enamored by it. It was a wisp of nostalgia and ease that she hadn't felt in a long time.

Despite it being her 4th time baking after years of being unable to, it was going, alright to say the least. She had burnt the first two batches the past few days, Coiny reassuring her it was fine.

With the first batch, he waited by the kitchen's pass-through, watching her move about. Occasionally, he'd ask if she needed help, but Pin would wave it off, telling him she was fine. It was obvious he didn't want to impose on her, giving her the liberty to move around. For anything up high, he'd insist on reaching it for her, despite his short stature.

Even when confronted about it, he'd remark, "I don't want you to fall, even if the kitchen isn't that open."

It was charming to her. And when it was all in the oven, he would insist she'd take a break, leaving him to wash the dishes.

But the timer would ring, reminding her of the pastry she had left in the oven. She'd take it out, hoping for the best, and of course, it was burnt. She'd mutter under her breath, trying to recall if she forgot some ingredient, or if she had put the temperature too high. Coiny would stand next to her, grab her hand, and simply say, "You can't win all of them."

It melted her, leaving her in a frenzy to hide her embarrassed face. Something about his actions just threw her off course.

All-in-all, he supported her hobby, trying to make sure she was happy.

But it was weird to her, to say the least; the second time that was.

The same thing happened. She'd do her own thing with him, watching and asking if she needed help. Again, it resulted in a burnt attempt at a cake.

He smiled at her, trying to reassure her. "You'll get the next one, I'm sure."

Those words had jogged a memory, one that she didn't even know she had. A green-haired girl had told her those words once when she burnt up some attempt at croissants. His words were perfectly the same as hers. She'd say it was uncomfortable if it weren't for the fact it came from him.

As of now, she was waiting—and hoping—for her new attempt at baking to end well; cinnamon rolls. Eyeing the clock after every ticking second was slowly frustrating. There was little to do, seeing as Coiny cleaned the entire house before leaving for the afternoon, telling her to take it easy.

If she had to be honest, it was getting bothersome. Having him do various chores while she sat down, doing nothing, was irritating. Though she wanted it to continue, it wasn't the same as it had been.

Now it just felt deceitful—which it was—that was something she couldn't deny. Pin had hoped the feeling would fade away, seeing as it was just a white lie, but it never did. And worse, she didn't know how to tell him.

Ring!

The sound of the kitchen timer grabbed her attention, instantly pulling her toward the oven. A ding of the oven followed the ringing. She had low hopes for it, waiting for the charred crust to show through as she opened it.

To her surprise, it was fine, the golden brown crust steaming as she pulled it out. They were more than fine. Fluffy and evenly baked, the smell alone was enticing. All it needed was the glaze now. Setting the baking pan on the kitchen island, she picked up the icing, pouring the frosting atop each roll.