Chapter 10

Chapter 10
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.
Forgiving

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Coiny's P.O.V.

He kicked the dirt as he made his way down the hill. His sight stuck on the ground as he found himself walking to Leafy. Pin had seen him throw up and it was troubling him. Though she had no idea why he had thrown up but suspected it was something they had eaten. She didn't try and pry answers out of him. Weirdly enough for him, he didn't know either. He found himself sick whenever he thought of Leafy. Something about her was intoxicating.

Yet here he was. On track to meet up with her. His hands entwined with each other behind his head as he walked over to her. The sight of the warm glow of fire just of the horizon eased him. The air was thick and cold that night, so a little warmth was sure to get him smiling. He let out a heavy exhale as he continued to walk.

He could barely see her silhouette. Leaned back into a yoyleberry bush; her eyes stuck on the fire dancing around. She seemed pensive if anything, which – to Coiny – left him at ease. He approached her before stopping beside her. A swift glance from her was all he got from her. She shifted away in his preference before quickly averting her sight away from him. He suppressed the sigh that was stuck in his throat. Though the temptation of wanting forgiveness grew within him, he stayed quiet.

He deserved this. He knew he deserved that attitude. He immediately threw his sight to the magenta grass underneath him, before ultimately sitting down. Coiny looked at the girl before turning towards where her eyes locked. The crisp fire burning what seemed to be branches of yoylebushes thrown into a pile. He bit the inside of his cheek, the sudden realization of what she was thinking.

The blanket of silence had been thrown over them and it was insufferable. Nervously, a half-suppressed laugh escaped his throat; the wanting to say sorry growing by the second.

"Um, hey Leafy."

It sounded more like a whisper, barely even audible to her, but with the silence of the night, she picked it up. "Hey," she replied, clearly showing no interest. He fidgeted with the hem of the jacket, his words racing in his mind trying to figure out how to say it or do it.

Coiny figured he'd have to start somewhere.

"Leafy," he stated, quickly garnering her attention with the tone of nervousness quivering on the tip of his tongue. He caught on to her sight, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment as he quickly tried stating the rest of his sentence. "I just wanted to say I'm–" He stopped to breathe, the air in his lungs practically non-existent at that point. "I'm sorry."

He shot a glimpse at the girl in front of him. She was confused, yet her eyes were filled with ease. He looked back to the ground, continuing his words. "I am sorry for everything. For the chasing. For not doing anything to help you. F-for ignoring you rather than helping you. I-I'm sorry." He felt the tears start to fall as he spoke midway through his sentence. Leafy, stared at him. Not a single word was heard.

The soft sobs of Coiny pushed by the breeze as the fire burning grew with the crisp of the night. Leady turned her head to the fire, her sight on the ground. She stayed pensive for a second before she spoke.

"You already told me sorry."

Coiny tried calming his sobs as he lifted his head, his eyes now stuck on the chocolate abyss of her eyes. "I know," he replied, his voice quivering in anxiety. He detached his sight from her, a heavy sigh form from thin air, as he rubbed the palm of his hand across his cheek. "I just-." He felt the words lodge up in his throat, as he rearranged a lock of hair, pushing it back behind his ear.

"I wanted to make sure you knew I was sincere..."

His words sizzled like butter as he stared at his hands. A small droplet of his tears falling down on the crease in his skin. He sighed once more as he rubbed his cheek with the wrist of his jacket. A slight scoff caught his attention, quickly centering his sight to the sound; Leafy.

Confusion quickly overtook Coiny as he kept his sight on her.

"You act like your first apology wasn't sincere," she stated as she hung her head to the side to eye Coiny.

"Regardlessly, it's fine."

Coiny felt a small smile grow on his face as he wiped the tears of his chin.

"Thanks," was all he could muster up. He looked at the magenta grass before looking at her again. He felt the warmth of the fire embrace him as he locked eyes with her.

He felt relieved.

A/N: Why did this take for-literally-ever? My entire weekday schedule is locked from the start of 2021 until August because of school. I wish for metaphorical death.