Chapter 17

A/N: Chapter is 2400 words long!! Hope you all enjoy!!! :)

Chapter 17
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
The Root Of It All
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Coiny's P.O.V:

To be completely honest, I didn't know what I was doing. I hung my head as I placed my hands on my knees to support myself, gasping for air.

The steep hill was usually easy to walk up. Today it was like the wind was pushing me back. I knew the backpack stuffed to the brim with cans was holding me back, but I couldn't exactly throw them out. I closed my eyes for a second, breathing heavily before letting it all out. Despite the air being cold, I felt the heat run down my body as if someone doused me in hot water.

Sighing, I continued trudging forward. I couldn't tell the time out here, but I assumed it was 2:30. It was getting late by the minute and I needed to get back home by 5:30 at the most. Just before the sunrise.

Standing atop the hill, I could see the flickering light of the fire burning. The warm glow oozed onto the bushes of yoyleberries.

I made my way down the hill, pebbles falling with my footsteps. Step by step, trying my best not to trip. I hadn't dressed myself to the best of my terrible abilities just for me to fall in the dirt. After all, it was her birthday. She deserved it.

"Hey Coiny," she greeted. I could hear the faint hint of sadness in her words. Her sight was stuck on the fire before us as she carved a piece of wood into a stake. The chips of wood fell on her thighs as she focused on the gentle sway of the flames.

"Hey Leafy."

She didn't move. Her sight was stuck on the blaze, continuing to shave the tanbark off the stake. How she hadn't cut herself was impressive. It took her a moment to turn to me, but when she did; she eyed me, smiling.

"You look nice."

I sensed my face flush, surprised by the statement. I laughed at the compliment, shrugging it off. "Ah, it's nothing." I knelt beside her, pulling the backpack over my shoulder, trying to show her. "It's just your birthday!"

Her sight faltered for a second, glancing from the backpack to me. Some part of me liked to imagine confetti falling from the sky at the mention of her birthday. And I was hoping she would take it positively.

Yet instead, she stayed silent, stuck looking at the backpack.

Leafy spoke up after a while, confusion falling on her face as she looked me in the eye. Her eyes glossed with 

"It's my birthday?"

My smile turned to panic. I opened my mouth to speak but instantly shut it. It felt wrong to speak at that moment—as I had just witnessed a break-up.

"It's March 9th, right?"

'Stupid! You fucking idiot! You got the wrong date wrong!!'

Setting both the wooden stake and her knife far out of our reach, Leafy grabbed the straps of the backpack, pulling it in front of her, fixated on her present. She nodded in response to my question, turning to face me, uncertainty glistening in her eyes. I could see the gears click into place as she looked back to the backpack. Leafy unzipped the main pocket, the cans rolling out from the sudden loss of pressure.
It was silent. A weird silence.

The gray-haired girl reached out for a can, mumbling the words under her breath.

"Apricots..."

Running her hand through her hair, she looked at me again. Joy. It was what I could read on her face. A sigh of relief fell from her mouth as she set down the can.