Chapter 32

Chapter 32
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
There Isn't a Fire Pt. 2
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

"You. Trust me?"

It sounded more like a question rather than a scoff. But truthfully, he was slightly curious about her answer, if she even gave one.

"Ehh. Sorta," Golf Ball shook her hand from side to side. "Can you read me the plans? It should be the first page on my clipboard." She pointed to the clipboard hanging beside the joystick of the scissor lift.

Coiny picked it up, quickly reading it before speaking. "Uh, there should be a breaker inside." He looked up to GB who was eyeing the machinery, trying to locate it.

"There's two of them."

His sight fell again to the sheet of paper quickly replying, "The one to your left."

She hummed in response as she opened the hatch, shutting off the power with the toggle lever. Some part of him knew he should have been focusing, but his head was more intrigued with her statements.

"So, what do you mean by that? Trusting me?" His grip on the clipboard unknowingly tightened, the papers creasing with force. He had some hope, that whatever she meant it would benefit him—and more importantly—Leafy.

She tugged on some wires, trying to rearrange them as she spoke. "I trust you with," she stopped, sighing at the sight of tangled cables. "I trust you with a lot of the work here."

His confused gaze quickly fell to a frown. "Oh." It sounded more irritated than he had intended yet it made sense. She got what was essentially free labor.

"Yeah," she replied while pulling the cables. "Like this, and the pantry stuff. I don't exactly trust anyone here with the more serious stuff."

He stammered, slightly stepping back. That wasn't the answer he was expecting.

"Imagine Gelatin trying to do this," she snarked, pulling the last cable out of the jumbled mess. As the cables dangled from the box, she dusted her hands. "He'd probably get electrocuted before we even started."

"That," he faltered with his brian still taking in the compliment. Was it a compliment? He didn't know, and truthfully, he didn't care. His concerns lied on what else she had to say. "Actually makes sense."

She nodded, her sight fixated on the electricity box. "Yeah. The only reliable people here are Needle, Fries, and you."

"Huh." He wasn't given a second to think as Golf Ball began speaking.

"I was right. Some of the wires are corroded." She muttered something else under her breath, prodding the wires in expectation.

He turned to the toolbox near him, pushing the tools inside to the side, searching for a wire brush. The little experience he had in reconnecting old wires were finally being put to use, already knowing what to look for. The stiff bristles ran across his fingers as he pulled it out from the pile. "You need the brush and the cleaner, right?"

She nodded without turning, her hand reaching out to him for the tools. He handed her the brush, quickly looking back to pull out the spray can. It would be a while before she finished, leaving Coiny with the can in hand.

So there's some trust at least, he thought.

There was at least a positive for such an early start to the day. Leafy had told him to keep her as a friend after all.

Keep your enemies close.

He had done so with Firey back in BFDI, but he was more rival than an enemy. Especially with all the events of the past few months, the redhead considered him more a friend than a rival.