Chapter 22

Chapter 22
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Hypothesis
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Third Person P.O.V.

Coiny pushed open the wooden door of the library, the hinge creaking from the sudden force. He detested returning here. Every time he walked the flight of stairs, he always walked out with a migraine. Which was a shame—he loved it. The bookcases were all lined with books, even if they were dusty–it enamored him; the feel.

He never was interested in reading after all.

Needle walked briskly past him, only saying, "Come on, Coiny. We're already late." A sigh left his mouth as he let his head hang in dread. He began hugging on the hem of his shirt, both hands pulling in opposite directions; the friction of the fabric against his hand burning his hand. There wasn't a word to describe the fear that ate him from within his chest.

"Coiny."

Needle was halfway across the vast room when he looked up.

"Uh, yeah! I'm going," Coiny stated, unconsciously letting go of his shirt. He bit down on his cheek as he took the first step.

There's no going back now.

She waited for him, his footsteps getting faster as he approached her. Despite being in a rush, she smiled at him. He was uneasy, even if it was a smile that lasted less than a second. As if she smiled at his anxious self.

What could he even say in his defense? With the cans out of his hands, he couldn't claim to return them and get off with a slap on the wrists.

The redhead sighed under his breath, shoving his hands in his pockets as they both took a turn. He'd have to make it up on the spot. And he wasn't keen on doing that. A fixed story would save him long-term; a mismatched one would get him caught.

Coiny left his thoughts, focusing on the reality before him, hoping to cover the made-up one in his head.

He could hear the voices from behind the doors, though not clear enough to make out all the words. He knew there were people in there, and that was enough to make him sweat.

Needle approached the door and opened them without hesitation. The blinding white light hit him, making him squint as they stepped into the meeting room.

Everyone was talking at once. Voices overlapped as they stuck to their usual group of friends. Freesmart sat together, waiting for the meeting to start. Gelatin sat with Fries and Yellowface, spouting jokes. Nickel sat with Rocky, the gray-haired boy, trying his best to calm Woody. Needle sat next to Bomby, turning to Coiny as she patted the empty seat next to her.

As much as he didn't want to, he sat down beside her.

He could feel his heart pound louder by the second, trying to keep his breath at a steady pace. Turning his head to the end of the table, he could see Golfball's seat empty, along with the old projection screen behind it.

Almost as if immediately, GB and TB walked in, clipboard in her hand, as the room fell silent with their presence. The only one making a sound was Gelatin, who was laughing, only to be smacked in the back of his head by Fries. Book giggled at the sight.

Golfball placed her clipboard down, the metal thudding against the wooden table. TB silently stood behind her, more files in his hands. She flipped through the papers stuck on her clipboard, pinching the bridge of her nose, and shaking her head.

"Book, can you monitor Firey? Coiny needs to stay here for Pin. Ice Cube can fill you in regarding the meeting," Golfball said, handing the clipboard to Tennisball.