Chapter 8

Chapter 8
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Complicated

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•  

Fidgeting with the hem of my jacket, I was readying myself to head out. I needed to. My mind had been clouded with thoughts as per usual. Gripping the copper doorknob, I jumped to the outside world that was the city. The cold air biting away at my skin. Why Yoylecity's air was so cold wasn't a concern to me all too much as it was to speak to Leafy. I headed west, walking down the streets of flickering old lampposts. 

The cold wind moving the grey clouds across the sky. It was weirdly harmonious. The thoughts slowly brewed as walked down the empty street. 

Would I actually get killed this time?

No one could truly condemn her if she did. I rightfully deserved it. We all rightfully deserved it. 

I didn't want these ideas. So corrupting and intoxicating. It was a hassle to control. I tried to ponder other things. Anything that wouldn't want to make me want to die. And the only thing that seemingly sprung up was Pin. 

The girl of my dreams.

At least that's what I like to think of her as. She was all too caring and so sweet. Heck, I wouldn't mind receiving a peck on the cheek. It took a second before I realized what I had thought, my face flushing at the conclusion. But I smiled. It was just a crush. 

We were close, no doubt about it. We both knew there were certain feelings within one another, but we were just waiting for the other to make the first move. Which was a hassle with compliments being perceived as flirts. But were they? I thought as I jumped off the 2-foot ledge, trying my best to not fall.

It was complicated. 

I sighed as I continued to walk. Everything is complicated. 

I rolled my eyes at the thought of complexion; trying to jump back the train of thought of Pin. Thoughts of Leafy slowly oozing through. The vivid memory of a mildly gleeful Pin talking about attempted murder. 

I stopped thinking about Pin the moment that memory popped through the ground. I didn't want to have a mental breakdown in front of Leafy. And just thinking of the devil, the warm glow of the fire came into view; a small silhouette of Leafy forming the closer I walked.  I figured that it would be better to walk straight up to her. How long had it been?

It was from either a few days to a couple of weeks. I had lost track of time. 

I walked down the magenta grass as I shoved my hands into my pockets. My mind continuously chipping away at the thoughts of Leafy. Passing the several yoyleberry bushes, she came into view. Instinctively she got up, as if ready to pounce and tear me apart limb from limb, yet stopped when she saw I had stopped. I took off my jacket without saying a word before throwing it towards her. Leafy eyed me quickly as she caught it in her arms. I could feel the distrust behind every glance she gave me. 

Leafy searched down the jacket trying to feel for anything unusual. A small frown formed on her lips. She walked towards me handing me the purple jacket in the process. "Why are you here again?"

I stopped midway as I slid my arms through the sleeves. She had to believe me. Right?

"I wanted to say sorry for," I stopped myself midway, my brain trying to think of any way to rephrase it. But no. There wasn't any other way to say it. I began again, "I wanted to say sorry." My breath hitched before the statement, "For everything I did."

I shot my sight to the floor, fear of rejection straight of the bat. But curiosity loomed over me. I looked up and almost instantaneously locked my eyes with her. I hesitated to speak. But when I opened my mouth, I closed it with the sudden interruption of Leafy's voice. "Why?"

I was taken back. A stuttering statement left my mouth. "W-What?"

She rolled her eyes as she approached me. "Why? Why do want to say sorry?"

The gateway to that night came back.

Feeling my heart race as I looked down, not looking at her in the eyes. "I-I." the world around me was a blur. A mess of jumbled up thoughts. It was all so confusing.

The sudden touch on my shoulders snapped me back, Leafy slightly hunched down to my height to look at me in the eye. Her concern glazed over her eyes. I could see her bite her lip before a sigh left her throat. "Tell me later." She walked away, sitting down by the fire. Her knees huddled up to her chest as her sight remained on the flickering ball of flames.

My head throbbed. What had just happened?

I scanned her from afar, my train of thoughts trying to decipher the occurrence of what had gone down. It was complicated. And to be honest, I didn't want to know. It was for the best? 

Because I hadn't gotten hurt. And that was good.

Taking small steps, I made my way there. My hands fiddling with each other; nervousness engulfing me by the second. I sat down beside her, completely ignoring me whilst I did. She only shifted away from me in response. I hummed, taking into account her action.

We sat there in tense peace. My eyes shifted from the fire to the girl beside me. She didn't want to talk. But I was well aware of the baggage she carried. And maybe she was too.

And just maybe she knew of my baggage because I certainly knew.

 We sat there in a weird concoction of comfortable and uneasy silence.

It was complicated, to say the least.