Chapter 6

Chapter 6
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Different
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Coiny's P.O.V.

I kept my eyes on the sky. The fluffy white clouds strolling off into the distance as I leaned against the railing of YoyleNeedle.

It had been just over a week since I had seen Leafy out there. To my luck, Pin hadn't noticed my absence. As the days rolled by, I had tried to take away my thoughts off of Leafy by spending more time with Pin, whenever I could. I would just chatter with her as much as I could. Hearing her talk was like serotonin to me.

I sighed as I glanced down at the boy in the cage.

Firey had been less talkative since I had mentioned his old best friend. He stared at the outside world of his cage, looking past the outskirts of the city. The dullness in his eyes reminded me of her. The spark that was once there long gone.

I took a deep breath and let out a heavy exhale. Concern was lurking behind me. Had he given up? I really hope he hadn't.

"Hey, Firey?" I began, trying to find a way to talk to the boy. He stayed silent for a second before responding. "Yeah?"

My thoughts paced around for a bit, trying to figure out how to speak to him. "You good?"

It was a simple yet easy way to start.

Firey hesitated. His eyes glanced back up to the magenta glass that grew on the outskirts of the city before they came back, only to look at his shoes. "Y-Yeah. I'm fine," his voice cracked, as he looked out to the scenery once again.

The cage jingled as Firey tried leaning against the bars of the cage. He couldn't though. He sighed in irritation before settling down on the base of the cage. His eyes were stuck to the scenery.

I was tempted to ask him something else but I quickly shrugged it off. Firey wanted to be alone. That or either he wanted someone to be there for him. Both made me feel miserable because I couldn't do either.

The sounds of someone running up the stairs caught my attention as I quickly turned around, trying to act natural. Gelatin came running up, panting as he opened the door. His green hair bounced as he picked up his head to face me. "Coiny!"

He stopped to take in a breath before continuing. "GolfBall wants you to pick up Pin earlier today." He took another breather. "She said it's because she wants to do an experiment with TB."

A slight snicker left his mouth before he chuckled. "An experiment," he stated once more before he made his way down the stairs. The soft click of the door closing made me relax.

Firey laughed before it died down. "It's pretty obvious what she's doing..." He kept his gaze on the skyline.

I forced myself to smile.

The constant change of mood that swung around was intoxicating.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

I turned the knob of the door as I pushed it open with the side of my hip. My other arm was wrapped the side of Pin, supporting her weight as we walked in. We had just gotten back from GB's factory, earlier than usual.

"Coiny, uh, you can let go of me now."

My face flushed, realizing that I hadn't let go of her waist and immediately did so. Pin leaned against the wall, giving me a small but heartfelt smile. I smiled as I rubbed my now free hand behind my neck, bashfully. I stared at the floor for a couple of seconds, recollecting myself from the weird incident. Turning to her figure who was now under the doorway to the living room, I hesitantly spoke. "I'll make you a cup of coffee," I muttered, now sliding my hand through my locks of hair.

Pin smiled and gave a thank you before blurting out, "Don't burn yourself like last time!"

I chuckled as I stepped foot into the kitchen. I grabbed the kettle, letting the water pour in through the faucet. Carefully placing the kettle on the stove, I gently turned the stove on. The small crackle was heard before it was filled by the fire bursting on, warming the kettle. I glanced over towards Pin, who had her eyes stuck on the ceiling, a smile creeping up on my face.

I turned my attention back to the stove, my smile still prominent. The water slowly boiled, before letting out a whistle. I turned off the stove before glancing back at Pin. Her grey hair behind her ears, with her eyes closed. I forced my gaze off her, centering my focus on the coffee.

It was instant coffee, which to some seemed like a terrible choice but it was so satisfying for non-expired coffee. I picked up the tray where the coffee-filled cups stood and headed to the living room. Pin push herself up noticing my presence. I cheerfully smiled at her as I set down the tray. "Your cup of coffee, m'lady," I joked as I playfully bowed in front of her. Pin rolled her eyes as she lightly tried to punch me.

We both got into a fit of giggles, as I sat down in front of her and reached for the cup. I took a sip of it before facing the ground. The warmth of the coffee and the coziness of the house was heartwarming. A smile rose to my face. I took a sip of the cup before I faced Pin, who was seemingly stuck in her own world of thoughts. I held the cup up to my lips, taking another gulp of coffee.

The tranquility of the room was calm. My eyes flicked as I let out a yawn.

A small muffled chortle left the girl's lips catching my attention. I felt my face grow warm from the sudden attention of Pin. A nervous grin grew on my face as I asked, "W-What?" I stammered, nervousness infused in my body. I felt my eyes avert her body. She stole a glance from me before quickly adverting it to the floor. "Nothing."

She stopped for a second, a light blush appearing on her face. She smiled as she avoided my eye contact. "I just thought that was cute."

The once tranquil environment was now tense and awkward. I darted my gaze away from the girl, trying to gain my composure. I felt my smile grow as I simply replied with "I think you're cute too".