Chapter 23

Chapter 23
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Saying His Name Pt.1

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Third Person P.O.V:

A handful of words. That's all he needed to tell her about their common enemy. At least, that's what Coiny told himself. Even if his mind told him it would be an hour-long conversation, he dreaded imagining it. Not because of the complexity of their current situation, but her: Golfball.

He wasn't sure if she'd be willing to follow him to the outskirts of the city or if he was being tracked somehow. He feared that if he spent too much time outside, someone would catch him.

He laughed just thinking about it. Should have been thinking that since I started this entire thing, he thought. He felt everything, all at once, at that meeting. Fear, anxiety. Relief and discomfort. It was a roller coaster that he still couldn't get off.

He eyed the empty land around him, trying to see if GB was following him. She had to be, right? At least it was his theory. He gulped down the fear stuck in his throat. Maybe it was just the nervousness and irrationality that made him succumb to such a theory. After all, the fear of death loomed over his head like a preying wolf. All for what?

As he thought, he wrinkled his face. He wasn't sure. He never truly was, but he'd rather trust his intuition than anything else, even if it had been wrong in the past. But the precaution was something he wouldn't mind. It meant keeping everything safe–Leafy, Firey, and himself.

And Pin...

She still couldn't walk completely. She depended a lot on him.

He breathed out heavily as he thought about it. How much she needed him in the past months. How she struggled to walk when she started getting back on her feet.

There was too much at risk–too many lives. It felt as if they made one wrong move, someone would be at risk. It was an elaborate game of chess that Coiny played with those around him, trying to win and keep one step ahead of the enemy. And there was nothing he could do but play along.

Coiny kept glancing around, tense as he awaited to spot the girl with glasses standing behind him. He could feel the shiver in his breath as he skidded down the mountain, trying to hurry his way to Leafy.

"The faster I get there, the faster I can leave," he muttered to himself, hands in the pockets of his jacket. The humidity of the air bit at his skin as he stared ahead, the smell of the burning wood filling his lungs.

His breath relaxed at the sensation, stopping him in his tracks, closing his eyes, all to take in the aroma. Even if it was brief, he enjoyed it—like the calm before the storm. It was almost reassuring to him.

Maybe it was how he imagined the fire dancing that calmed him down. Or the musk of wilting bark and wood was simply sweet as if he was eating yoyleberries.

The sense of reality came to Coiny as he opened his eyes again—the darkness of the grassy fields reminding him why he was even there. Unconsciously, he clenched his jaw with words replaying in his head. Just go, say what you need to say, and leave. Nothing more, nothing less.

He stepped forward, trying to regain control of his breath anew.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Coiny could see her faintly. Leafy's silhouette fell on him as he got closer, seeing her tossing some wood into the fire. She got up, dusting herself before she turned around. And just as she did, she noticed him from the corner of her eyes. Stopping in her tracks, she faced him and, without missing a beat, said, "Oh. Hey Coiny." She began waving as he approached her.