Chapter 24

Chapter 24
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Saying His Name Pt.2
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Third Person P.O.V.

"Wait, what?!"

A confused answer for such a straightforward question. Coiny had to do a double-take just based on the question. She pushed herself up again, her smile gone like a breeze. "What," Leafy asked, confused by his perplexed and dazed response.

"I—," he stopped, looking down at the grass under him, his brain trying to formulate the words to even say. Speechless and confused by her reaction; it wasn't supposed to go that way.

"What part of me being a risk didn't you get?!"

The moment he said it, he realized it wasn't what he meant to say, but he didn't stop himself. He couldn't. Even if they were words that hurt him—and more importantly, her—he said them.

She rolled her eyes with a disappointed glint in her hum. "Oh no. I understood it, Coiny," she said, exasperated as she began getting up. "I don't think you," she said with emphasis, "understood anything of what I said."

She dusted off the dirt from her hands, walking away without another word.

What?

With a blink, he immediately darted up, running after her. He was always left in the dust confused out of his mind. But this time he had enough with his luck.

"Leafy!"

He ran up to her, getting in front of her in hopes to get her attention. And it worked. She sighed, hand on her hip with dismay shrouding her face. "What is it now?"

He gasped for air, trying to pull the correct words to speak.

"What-What do you mean I didnt understand? What I got was that because of us you weren't able to live peacefully. What is there not to understand?"

Leafy pinched the bridge of her nose, shaking her head and yet again, walked around him without a word. He groaned.

I don't have time for this!

He raced after her, no longer stopping her and instead kept up to her pace besides her. "Leafy, just tell me. At least then I can tell you, alright?"

She didn't reply immediately. Instead, she began picking up firewood, only glancing at the boy beside with thoughts bubbling in her head like a boiling pot of milk. She could see the curiosity in his eyes, even if it was only for a second. It was a pot that was boiling over.

"Ah, fine." Though there was a grumble in her voice, she had to admit she was over the moon that he was this interested. It felt nice to talk to someone about their experiences, even if it was brief. The dam had let out some pressure and some was better than none.

Leafy held the bundle of sticks in her arms, making her way back to the fire pit. Coiny followed behind, waiting for her answer—for any clarification. He just needed to know.

"I prefer not to talk about what I went through. But I had figured you of all people would have gotten half of what I truly meant to say," she said, throwing some wood into the fire.

He'd be lying if he said he wasn't hurt by her words.

"That's not the point. I spent all my time and energy making my way here. And yet I stayed. Why?" She sat down, leaving the collection of wood beside her. "Because I was bent on surviving. Even if it meant dealing with all of you contestants. I wasn't letting everything I had done go to waste."