Chapter 3

After a few months of working at the bar and I was still lost as to what I wanted to do. I was enjoying my job though. It was usually fast-paced and even when it was slow there was almost always someone at the bar I could chat with as I cleaned or prepped. I was also quite good at bartending. My personality fits that of a bartender in a dive bar. Not to mention the fact that I was regularly performing. I may be lost, but I was happy.

"Dee! I've got a bit of a situation." Owen ran up to me with a stressed look on his face, "The band tonight just cancelled. If I can find someone to cover your shift tonight, would your band want to play?" It was Saturday night and most of our draw came from having live music. No band meant no customers, which meant shit tips for me.

"I'll text them."

"Call them. I'll watch the bar for you. Tell them I'll pay extra since it's last minute."

I quickly made my way to the back and pulled my phone out of my bag. After three phone calls, everyone was on board. They'd each bring their own equipment which means that I needed to get all my shit here as soon as possible. That meant a call to my brother.

"Hey Dee. What's up?"

"So, I need a favour. The band tonight just cancelled and Owen needs me to play. Do you think you could grab my shit, as well as a change of clothes and my make up and bring it here as soon as humanly possible? Pretty please with a cherry on top?"

"Yeah but you're paying my tab tonight. I'll be there in twenty."

"Fuck yes. Thank you. Love you."

"Yeah, love you too idiot." He hung up and I went out to give Owen the good news. To say that he was relieved was an understatement. He had me clock out and bought me dinner and a beer while I waited for everyone.

I sat by myself at the bar and scrolled through Instagram while I ate my food. I didn't notice that someone sat next to me until Owen put a drink in front of her. I turned and saw a head of dark black hair beside me. I smiled as I looked at the girl. She stood out in our little bar. Her black thick-rimmed glasses covered a lot of her face but I could tell she was quite beautiful. She had on an old brown leather jacket that covered up most of her, but when she reached out to grab her drink I caught a glimpse of a tattoo on her forearm.

"Hey, I'm Melody." I introduced myself. She started a bit as she looked over at me. I was right about her being beautiful. Her face was delicate despite being covered by her glasses and straight across bangs. She had large hazel doe eyes and thick full lips that pulled into a smile as she met my eyes.

"Oh, um hi. I'm Ellie."

"Nice to meet you. What brings you around here?"

"Oh, just needed to get away for a bit and I saw they had a live band so I decided to come in." She shrugged, "Do you come here often?"

"You could say that." I chuckled but I saw her look of confusion so I quickly clarified, "I work here but I was a regular here before that. You picked a good night to come in. The band tonight is fantastic."

Owen picked that walk by and snorted, "She's just saying that cause she's in the band tonight."

"Hey man. If I wasn't good, you wouldn't have booked me!"

"I didn't. Our band tonight cancelled last minute"

"You booked me for next Saturday asshole."

He laughed at me. I was glad I could get away with calling my boss an asshole. Not many places let you. I should know, I've tried. "Dee is really good. I just like giving her a hard time. Someone has to knock her off her high horse."