Chapter 26

Melody

I stood in my hotel room staring at myself in the mirror. I looked at the graphic liner, the silver slip dress, fishnet tights, and chunky Doc Martins wondering how I got here. I spent most of my week either practicing, writing, or in the gym with a few late-night interviews thrown in. Sleep I guess was thrown in there when necessary. I hadn't seen Elenore since the night of the big gala. The days were getting easier. My head was getting clearer as the fog my heart had created was lifting. I will not say that I had fallen out of love with Elenore, just that I was questioning if she was right for me.

A knock at the door pulled me out of my thoughts. I shook my head and made my way to the door. Like I should have expected, Anise was there. She was looking cute as hell. Dressed in a black off-the-shoulder dress that hugged her every curve, her hair was in her signature afro style, and her glasses weren't in sight. I genuinely smiled when I saw her. She really was the highlight of my days lately. "Time to go?" I asked.

"Yep, so get your ass in gear." She shot me a grin as I stepped back to grab my clutch before following her out. I hooked my arm around hers as we walked side by side. I was just so relaxed in her presence. Any storm clouds were calmed and I was able to think. She had also tried to come to the gym with me almost every time I went. I had even started teaching her some fighting techniques which I kinda loved. Just seeing her make an effort was really touching and what I needed after the mess with Elenore.

We travelled to the venue in a limo. Everyone was pretty upbeat and I tried to join in but this pit in my stomach just wouldn't go away. Partly because I knew Elenore's name was on the bill for tonight. Maybe that's why I was so willing to sit in that makeup chair or kept staring into the mirror earlier. I didn't know if my heart was ready for what was in store tonight.

A squeeze on my knee pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked up at Anise's sympathetic smile. "You ready?"

I looked up to see that everyone was getting out of the limo. I took a deep breath to steady myself before plunging out into the chaos of the red carpet. Just like last time, Will and Anise stood back while the band posed for the flashing cameras. I was happy that we could interact with fans at this one, so I did take the time to pose for selfies with fans and sign a few autographs. It was weird that people wanted my autograph but I loved seeing how happy they were that I did.

Inside there were two different parties going on. There was one backstage for all the performers and one where the fans were enjoying the music. It was really cool backstage; cameras were recording the show to be played on these giant TVs all over backstage. The entire place felt like a trendy lounge. Large plush couches, a modern bar, and servers in sleek black outfits. I made my way to the bar and grabbed a locally brewed IPA which definitely pointed towards the trendiness of the venue. It was an open bar so there was a good chance that I was going to be taking advantage of that tonight.

"Alright, you're on in forty-five minutes. Stage manager wants you by that door ten minutes beforehand. I'll come get you so don't worry about keeping track of time. Just don't get too drunk and try not to get in a fight." Anise said before she disappeared to go find the rest of the band. I watched her as she went, I couldn't help myself. Her ass looked unreal in that dress.

"You ready for tonight?" Will asked.

I took a long drink of my beer before answering, "Stage shit, yes, the rest, fuck no."

"You just need to make the right choice for you. Don't worry about anyone else."

If only it were that easy. I'm constantly worrying about other people, the what ifs and the what could be. It was in my nature, even if I do usually disregard my worries about others. "No shit Sherlock."