Chapter 34

"What is it?" I asked as Jean came and sat between Anise and I. I looked over at Anise and hoped my face showed just how sorry I am that we were interrupted.

"It's Lenora. She just posted this video and you need to see it." Jean pressed play as my heart jumped into my throat. Lenora looked like shit. She was sitting in her car and her eyes were red from crying.

"Hi everyone, it's Lenora Ashley. You may have seen the pictures in the news, but for those who haven't, the paparazzi captured a kiss between myself and Melody Wilson which ended in me slapping Melody. The story that has been going around that Melody kissed me despite me not wanting her to is false. I'm here to tell the truth, the whole truth of that night because Melody won't. Not because she has any fault, no she's just too good of a person. She's probably the best person I've ever met in my entire life. She doesn't deserve all the shit I've put her through and the lies I've told. So here is my confession."

"Melody and I met in a bar where I had disguised myself. Everyone has probably seen the videos of the two of us playing at that bar. She has to be one of the most incredible performers that I've ever had the honour of performing with. It was instant chemistry between us. I wanted to feel that high of the two of us performing together again, I wanted to be around her because she was this electric personality that I was addicted to. So I decided to ask her to write a song with me."

"It wasn't long before we started dating but I was hiding too many secrets which would lead to our demise. I was in a relationship, I was scared to come out, and... fuck this is harder to say than I thought... but I'm an addict. I tried to hide all of this from her but when you are trying to build a relationship with someone, lies can undermine everything. It made sense that she ended things with me, but it still hurt. I couldn't deal. I'd been using pretty heavily since coming to LA with her and I wasn't in my right mind."

"I went to that alley to try to get her back, to convince her that she should be with me. I kissed her, she didn't want me to and I still did it because, in my drugged-out state, it made sense. When the paparazzi started taking pictures of us, I panicked in the worst possible way and slapped her to make it seem like I didn't want her to kiss me even though that was all I wanted. I wanted nothing more than to be the girl who ended up with Melody but in that moment all I could think was that I wasn't ready to come out. My team released the story of her assaulting me before I had even come down from my high. I had taken so many drugs that night it's a miracle I didn't OD but I guess it's a good thing that I didn't so I could try to set the story straight."

"Melody, if you watch this, thank you for the best few months of my life. These have probably been the worst for you and for that, I'm truly sorry. I hope you find someone who loves you like you deserve to be loved cause that sure as hell isn't me. I also think they're much closer than you think and I hope that you find each other sooner rather than later. As for me, I'm sitting in my car outside of rehab. I'm going to be gone for a while well I try to get clean. Thank you to everyone who watched this and please show some love to Melody Wilson because she deserves it. If you haven't checked out her band, Charcoal Dreams, you should do that immediately because they're amazing. I'll see you again when I'm sober, however long that takes."

I sat there staring at the screen even after the video ended unable to move. She did it. She came out. She admitted to everything she'd done. It was all out in the open. She set the record straight and took all the blame. My career was saved and she didn't have to live in fear. Sure, she'd have to deal with the repercussions of putting me through all this shit but I think she'd be better off in the long run. I'm going to be better off in the long run. I'm better off already.

I sat back on the couch as a deep breath escaped my chest. It was done. There was nothing left of my relationship with Elenore. I was free. The weight I'd been carrying around on my back was suddenly gone. Fuck I felt brilliant. I looked over at Anise and Jean and saw both of them watching me, waiting for my reaction. My lips curled up as I looked Anise in the eyes, fuck she had some sexy eyes. Nope, not what I should be focusing on. "Well Star, it looks like your job just got a hell of a lot easier."

"But what about you? How are you feeling?" Jean asked.

"I'm processing but overall feeling great. Like it sucks that Lenora's going to rehab and she's struggling like she is, but to finally have that fucking awful secret off my back feels great."

"Well if you need to cry and have ice cream Dad went to go grab a few tubs."

"Thanks Jeanie, do you mind giving Anise and me a moment alone?"

"Oh, sure, no problem." She gave me a quick hug before grabbing her laptop and leaving the studio.

"So, what was so secretive that you couldn't say it in front of your sister?" Anise asked with an eyebrow raised. I noticed the subtle curve to her lips as her eyes held mine. God, she was so ridiculously sexy it wasn't even funny.

"What happened right before my sister interrupted us," I answered.

"Oh? Um, what uh, what do you mean?"

"Our almost kiss."

She sucked in a breath and her eyes darted away from mine. "Oh. Look, I'm sorry, it was unprofessional and I totally crossed a line. It was stupid. You should forget about it."

"I don't want to forget about it." You'd almost think that a jolt of lightning passed through Anise as her eyes flew to mine. "I like you Anise, and I have since we've met. Every time I get the chance to spend time with you, it is the highlight of my day. You are so fucking smart and clever and I could talk to you about anything for hours on end without getting bored. You're literally the sexiest woman I've ever met. I love when you let me see the real you when you let your guard down. I wish I wasn't an idiot and asked you out before all this other shit went down."

She was silent, her lips parting in shock as she studied me. "You-you like me?"

"Like would probably be an understatement at this point." I reached over to take her hand. "The only thing stopping me from kissing you right now is that I literally just got out of a toxic relationship and I want to be the best me that I can be for you. I want to heal and make sure I don't bring any unwanted baggage into what I hope is a beautiful relationship with you."

"You're serious? Like if this is a joke, please tell me now."

I chuckled, "Definitely not a joke. I'd never-"

I couldn't get another word out because Anise's lips were on mine in a passionate kiss. I was only startled for a moment before I returned her kiss. I'd never experienced one quite like that one. Electricity travelled throughout my body but somehow I felt at peace. Kissing her was like coming home and I never wanted to leave. Her lips parted and her tongue found mine. Instead of some fight for dominance, our tongues danced together in a routine that only we knew. Her lips were silky with a faint taste of that mango lip balm I knew she loved. It was pure heaven.

When we pulled away, we didn't move far. Our foreheads remained connected as we tried to regain our breath. "I've wanted to do that since we've met." She whispered. Her lips ghosted over mine for a second before she pulled away. "I can wait as long as you need but I do want to be here for you as you heal. As long as I can still kiss you sometimes 'cause that was literally the best kiss I've ever had."

"I think that can be arranged." I grinned as I leaned back in to taste those intoxicating lips one more time.