Chapter 23

I pulled my eyes away from Elenore... my fucking Elenore. She promised she was mine, all mine, and she had a fucking boyfriend. I could feel my eyes tear up but I pulled myself together and turned back to the conversation with a smile. I listened to the producer babble on about how we'd arrange a screening of the film so we could begin to work on the title track. I knew that this was a huge opportunity, but at the same time, I couldn't concentrate. I'd just gotten my heart broken, and no one knew. I couldn't tell anyone either. Not without outing Elenore, and no matter how much I fucking hate her for doing this to me, I couldn't out her. No, I'm not that cruel. Not like she is.

Eventually I couldn't stand another minute in her presence. "I'm so sorry, the jet leg seems to be hitting me really hard. Do you mind if I grab your card and I'll get my manager to set something up with you?"

"Oh of course! I cannot tell you how excited we'd be if you could do this. We wanted the artist writing the soundtrack to be queer but we couldn't find anyone who had the right sound. Then you hit the scene with the exact sound we wanted and queer; we knew we had to hire you."

I was given her card and I slid it into my jacket pocket for safe keeping. It was an amazing opportunity. If the situation was any different, I'd probably be talking to her all night. I just wasn't in the state of mind to get into it. I didn't say a word to Elenore, I couldn't even look at her. I just felt my heart shattering into a million pieces. I walked out the door of the venue, onto the street. I sucked in the cold night air just thankful that the paparazzi weren't around anymore.

"Melody!" I heard a female voice call from behind me. I couldn't even process whether it was Elenore or not. I just knew I needed to get away from everyone. Thankfully a cab was just pulling up in front of the venue. A hand caught my arm and spun me toward them. A sick, masochistic part of me hoped it was Elenore trying to tell me I misunderstood. I was both relieved and disappointed to see Anise standing in front of me. "Fuck. You didn't know, did you?"

I felt my throat close up. I couldn't say a word. If I said anything, I was going to start balling and I was not in a place where I could do that. I nodded in confirmation and Anise immediately went into manager mode. She was pulling me towards the side of the building where a line of luxury town cars was waiting. She ushered me into the back before going around to the driver's side to get in on the other side. "The back is soundproof. You can say whatever you need to." She said softly.

I could feel the tears trying to escape but I was doing everything I could to hold them in. "Did you... did you know about him?"

"Yeah. The tabloids love talking about them. I thought you must have known."

"Well, I didn't." I snapped back then instantly regretted it when I saw her flinch. "Fuck, shit, I didn't mean to snap. I just- fuck! How could I be so fucking stupid? I fucking fell for her and she had a boyfriend the entire fucking time! I have seen enough fucking tabloids try to fuck with my family that I blocked them all years ago. I don't even look at the stores. I fucking saw him on her socials, but they were all so long ago that I assumed that they had broken up!"

I couldn't hold back the floodgates anymore. I heard the click of a seatbelt and the next thing I knew Anise had her arms around me. "She doesn't deserve you, Melody. You deserve someone who will love you as fiercely as you love them." I didn't respond. I just cried as she held me close. I was glad that Anise found out about us. I now had someone who could comfort me in my despair.

When we got back to the hotel, Anise pulled out some makeup wipes and tidied up my face as best she could. I was sure I looked like shit, but Anise made sure that we were heading in the private back entrance where we could avoid everyone. The elevator upstairs to the rooms the label put us up in was silent. She walked with me to my room where she put her hand on my shoulder, "Do you want company?"