Chapter 30

Melody

It wasn't long until Will emerged with Dad. I could tell both were quite emotional. Will walked right up to Mamma and gave her a huge hug. My mom smiled into the hug. Will could rest his head on top of her head, but sometimes we all need a hug from our moms. Dad came over to me and gave me a hug. "How're you holding up Monkey?"

I smiled at the childhood nickname. "I've been better. Feels like I'm on a rollercoaster lately but it's all been the big drops and loopty loops. I can't wait until I can finally get off this fucking thing and go to the lazy river for a bit."

"Well, you could take a vacation once this craziness is over. Go down somewhere warm and find your lazy river." He suggested.

"I think I'm going to put all of this into an album and then I'll take that vacation. Just me and a pina colada."

"You don't like coconut though."

"I know, but I feel like if you're somewhere tropical you should have at least one."

As Dad laughed, Will got everyone's attention. Hillary was now beside him, tucked under his arm. I envied them at that moment, to have someone to just stand beside you in the hard times. I had my family and friends, something I'll never take for granted, but I wanted a partner to stand beside too. "I've decided to speak to Emma. I'm not sure why she wants to talk to me, but I feel like I have to see her. Just to get some answers to all the questions I've had."

"Just let us know if you need anything or if you need one of us to go with you," Mamma said.

"Thanks, Mom. Once we've set something up, I'll see where I'm at. For right now, I think we should push all thoughts of her out of our minds and play some games as a family."

We all agreed, I did add that I needed to pick Anise, Tori, and Ryland up from the airport, which ended in them getting an invite and a secondary invite being sent out to Kai as well. Before we knew it, the invite was being put out to the entire family. It was a classic Wilson family get-together, totally not planned, last minute, but everyone found a way to be there. I loved seeing them all come out to support Will and Dad through what had to be a total mind-fuck of a time.

As the time got closer to when Anise, Tori, and Ryland would land, I quietly told Mamma I was going to swing out for a bit to grab them. I was glad of this time to reflect, although every station seemed to be gossiping about the breakup between Elenore and Damien. I just ended up turning off the radio which was somehow worse. Fucking hell, silence is literally the fucking worst. I could put the music on from my phone, but I would have to deal with all the phone calls from people I wished would just delete my number. Not to mention the phone calls from Elenore I didn't want to answer. I need to get my head straight.

I pulled into the airport and made my way to the arrivals. As I waited, I could feel eyes on me. I was glad that it was the middle of winter and I was bundled up enough that there was some question as to who I was. I kept my eyes glued to the gate just waiting for my friends to appear. I was nervous to see them. It felt like so much had changed but, in reality, I was under so much fucking pressure I felt like I could burst. I just needed to see my friends. Let's be real, I needed to see Anise. She's been the one piece of sunshine poking through the clouds of my troubles.

Then, there she was. Coming down the escalator and looking around for something, likely for me. She was breathtaking, despite just coming off a flight. Her hair was pulled back, out of her usual afro style, into a large curly bun. Dressed in a dusty rose sweatshirt with matching track pants and her winter coat draped over her arm, it was so casual yet perfect in every way. When our eyes met, I didn't notice anyone else. My feet moved on their own as we made our way right to her, everyone else be damned. As soon as I was close to her, my arms wrapped around her and she did the same. I felt the stress slipping away as I surrendered to her embrace. This was where I was supposed to be. I wasn't supposed to be hidden away like some dirty secret. I wasn't meant to have my heart broken every time the person I loved spoke. I wasn't supposed to be beaten down into some ghost of the woman I used to be. I was meant to be hugging the girl I loved in an airport and feel relaxed.

"Well hello to you." Tori sassed breaking me out of my head. I looked up to see her and Ryland both standing there with knowing grins on their faces.

"Fuck you both." I reluctantly stepped out of Anise's arms and grabbed the two of them in a hug. "How was your flight?"

"Long but our flight attendant was really hot and I got her number so everything is turning up Tori. Now let's go party so I can drunk text her later." Tori answered. Ryland gave me a small grin before we started towards the exit doors of the airport. Tori kept up her ramble about the flight attendant and a million other things while the rest of us just listened.

Anise came beside me and bumped her arm into mine. I turned to look at her, "You seem happier than when we spoke earlier, I take it that everything with Will's bio-mom went okay?"

"He's decided he's going to meet her, but that's not why I'm happy."

"Why are you happy?" Her nose scrunched ever so slightly as she looked at me. It was absolutely one of the most adorable things ever.

"Just made a few much needed decisions about my future, love life, and all that messy shit I've been dealing with," I said as walked up to my car. I opened the trunk and they threw their suitcases in but I didn't miss the look they all gave each other when they thought I wasn't looking. I had a gut feeling something happened with Elenore before they left LA, but that was definitely an in-the-car conversation.

As soon as we were in the car I turned to them, "Alright, what happened that has you three looking like you just pissed in a preacher's pants?"

"Lenora has been harassing us and being kinda psycho. She wasn't acting normal, she was frantic and jittery and all kinds of crazy. We think she's on coke, like a lot of it. It was scary and as much as we know that you're your own person and can make your own decisions, you need to know that before you think of getting back together with her that she does use coke and I think she does it regularly." Tori blurted out.

I sat back in my seat and sighed. Fucking hell Elenore, what fucked up mess have you gotten yourself into this time? "Well, I guess that cements my decision that we're over."

I looked to the side to see Anise's jaw drop. Tori cursed, and Ryland nodded, but I was focused on Anise's expression. The way she gathered her composure and looked down at her lap with the slightest upturn of her lips captured my attention. She's happy, I wish I knew if she was happy for me or happy that I was single. I turned back and turned on the car and started driving home with a smile on my face. I may be staring down singledom all by myself, but fucking hell, I cannot wait to make it official.

Cause once I have my head on straight and am finally ready, I'm going to make Anise my girl.