Chapter 20

Within a month, our music was everywhere. We were climbing the charts and the critics loved everything we were doing. Everyone wanted a piece of us. I was starting to understand why Elenore always wore a disguise when going out. It was impossible to do anything without someone trying to take your picture or asking you to sign things. It was an adjustment I don't think anyone can prepare you for, which is why Elenore decided to set up a surprise for me today.

All I knew, was to dress warm, wear gloves, and dress comfortably. So, I bundled myself up with a pair of thick leggings, a cozy knit sweater, and everything else that is required of you to stay warm in December. When her car pulled up in the driveway, I rushed outside careful to watch for ice on the snowy driveway.

I got in the car to see Elenore dressed similarly to me. She looked so cute in her winter jacket. "So, you finally going to tell me where we're going?"

"Not a chance." She answered, "What I can say is that it is going to be romantic as hell."

I smiled at the thought. While Elenore was still not out, I was much more content with the situation than I was. Before our heart-to-heart a month ago, I'd taken her desire to keep us secret as a negative reflection of her feelings toward me. I thought I was a secret because she didn't feel the same way I did. Now that she regularly told me she loved me and started to show me the same, I felt much more secure. I still hated lying to people, but we all have to make sacrifices.

We pulled up in front of a small arena which confused the hell out of me. I looked over at Elenore but she already had the car off and was getting out. I followed her lead sure that I'd figure it out soon. As we approached the building, she pulled a key out of her pocket to unlock the doors. She pulled me inside after her, turned on the lights and locked the door behind us. She took my hand and started pulling me down the old hallways. "Why are we at an arena?"

"Just be patient." She answered. She pulled me down a hallway and flicked on the lights illuminating the skating rink. "Ta-da! I rented out the entire arena so we could go ice skating! There is no one else here for the entire day and the owner turned all the cameras off for us so we can be as romantic as possible."

I immediately blanched, "Uh, I can't skate."

Her brow scrunched up, "Really? I thought Canadians were practically born with skates strapped to their feet."

"Yeah, not this one. I could not get my head around why we strap tiny blades to the bottom of our feet for fun. It seems like a total death trap if you ask me."

"I can teach you then!" She jumped up excited at the possibility, "I've been skating since I was a kid and am pretty good. Come on Dee, it will be super romantic! Plus, when we're done we can have hot cocoa back at my place while we cuddle in front of the fireplace. I even set up blankets and pillows for us."

As much as this seemed like the worst possible idea, Elenore seemed really excited about this. It was also super romantic. I've never had a partner who planned romantic dates for me before. Usually, they let me take the lead like I do in the bedroom. It was nice to be on the receiving end for once. "Fine, but I will be spanking you for every time you laugh at me so keep that in mind."

She squealed as she wrapped her arms around my neck. She pulled my lips down to hers in a passionate kiss. My hands found their usual place on her hips as we kissed. "Thank you. You're not going to regret it."

"I already do."

She led me to a rental area where the skates were kept. We laced up and she led my wobbly ass over to the ice. It only got worse when we got to the ice. She was totally elegant as she stepped onto the ice, even doing a quick spin before she came to help me onto the ice. I gripped the sideboard like it was a life raft as I stepped onto the ice. I felt like Bambi with my wobbling legs and inability to keep balance.