The Wedding Ring

Sam and Tina follow Blaine, who's leading the way into the jewelry store. Blaine had chosen the Lima Mall as his destination, with three separate jewelry stores inside, so that he had several opportunities to find the best one for Kurt. This decision, however, led to him having to pave the way as his friends tried to disappear into other sections of the mall.

"I haven't been in one of these in so long. Can we get fries real quick?" says Sam.

"Forget your fries, I want to look at shoes," Tina retorts.

"Guys, I'm here for a ring for Kurt. You gonna help me or not?"

A commotion of apologies follow, then they continue down the hall to the section decorated in bright white lights and a glimmering sign. There's not many people inside, for which Blaine is grateful. Yes, he's excited to make a statement and marry the love of his life despite what others may think. Yet, he doesn't want to make that statement in the middle of a mall in Ohio. There's too much possibility for things to get ugly if someone decides to voice hate in his direction.

Outside the doors, he takes a deep breath, then heads to the engagement rings section. Sam and Tina are still behind him, glancing over the glass-sealed booth.

"If it were me you were marrying, I'd want that big one," Tina points to the large diamond on the third row. Blaine looks at it, but it doesn't seem to be Kurt's style. He then realizes she's still talking about why she would like it if it were them getting married.

"Tina, I'm looking for a ring for Kurt."

"Those are engagement rings," comes a voice from the side. An older lady approaches the pair, looking at them carefully.

"Well that's good because I'm looking to get engaged," Blaine smiles up at her.

"Mmm, I'm always telling my nieces and nephews to wear condoms."

"No, no, it's for my boyfriend."

"I'm not pregnant," Tina squints.

"Oh, oh, well, tell me about him then. Do you think he's your soulmate?"

Blaine's surprised, but responds, "yes, he's the love of my life. The Supreme Court is finally allowing our marriage and I want to fully be with him and show everyone they can too."

"That reminds me of my Liz. We met when we were eighteen, during the time of rock and roll, at a Styx concert. Age doesn't matter, true love is true love," she justifies.

Blaine nods, but then Sam comes over to them. He turns his head to face the other, but sees something, or rather someone, out of the corner of his eye that catches him off guard. He watches for a second. The person sits down on the bench in the center of the mall, phone in one hand, bag in the other, reading something carefully. His long legs are crossed over each other, clad in khaki pants.

"Hey, dude. I love you and wanna support you, so if you're really doing this, I want to help," Sam slaps a hand onto Blaine's shoulder, snapping him back into focus, "plus, I have the best taste."

Tina rolls her eyes.

"Y-yeah," Blaine stutters, hoping no one notices.

"Is this him?" She whispers to Blaine.

"Oh, no, no. He wants to do me, but no. Uh, name's Sam, though."

"Jan," the lady introduces back, shaking his hand.

"Will you excuse us for a minute, Jan?" Blaine asks calmly.

"Sure, I'll be right over here," she walks a few steps away, turning her attention to another man who had been contemplating a table of rings since the three had entered.