What Happens Now?

a/n: this work is 15k words. Whoops.

also, warnings: minor descriptions of violence and hate speech. hurt / comfort, but eventual fluff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"— I hate you! How could you do this to our relationship? To me?"

"You left me alone! So suddenly, and never answered any of my calls, rescheduled all our Skypes just to reschedule them again. You've been parading around New York with your fancy internship and your new band, and I've been here. Stuck in school and missing you like hell. Don't get me wrong – I am so proud of you and happy you're successful, but wish our relationship didn't get lost during it all."

"Blaine, that's ridiculous. You're the one that couldn't keep it in your pants and cheated. You fucked us up, this was not me."

"And I'm sorry! I know it was wrong, it was so wrong, and I feel awful. But I was desperate and needed you, but you weren't there. Not even for a Skype call."

"Jesus, who or what did you see that made you so needy you couldn't control yourself? Actually, don't answer that, I don't want to know."

"Do you really hate me?" The shorter boy asks, voice cracking.

"Right now, there's smoke coming out of my ears. I don't hate you, but I'm so incredibly frustrated. We'll discuss this later, I can't deal anymore."

Over on the other side of Central Park, Finn and Rachel were having a very similar conversation. When both couples, now split, meet up in the apartment again, tensions are thicker than ice. Cold as ice, too. The only communication is made through body language and eye movement, making the night that Blaine and Finn have to stay over extremely uncomfortable. When they finally start the drive back to Ohio, break-ups are finalized and the trip is painfully silent.

◇◇◇◇

Following the incident, Blaine finds himself only talking to Sam and Tina. They try to help him through it, but it's hard when you don't feel like thinking about it. Instead, the boys agree to run for Senior Class President, with Sam as Vice President. The campaigning helps to take his mind off Kurt and channel it into something productive. Several times, the three of them meet at Blaine's house to discuss it or hang out, which Blaine's mom loves to see.

Pam knows her son is taking the breakup extremely hard. She saw it coming from a mile away, but didn't want to get too involved in her son's personal life. Still, she wishes there was something she could do to make him less upset after the fact. Watching him bring friends home and hearing him laugh from upstairs brings a smile to her face. A part of her even wishes Kurt could see him now – look how well he's doing without you!

As the campaign goes on, Blaine's attention begins to fully shift away from his ex-boyfriend and more towards his own future. Things finally start to look up again. Colors return to the world; instead of the sky appearing a meek grey, it is a pleasant blue. He can see shades of red now, not everything is a dilute pink or dark crimson. Internally, he feels happier, like the more he recovers, the more it seems the world does too.

The changes in pace and company lead to his mind being completely clear on the day of the election. He and Sam deliver a remarkable speech that results in them taking the Presidency. The trio stills meet up to discuss their duties, which of course includes Tina in any decision making processes, even though she wasn't in the running.

"Okay, so let's make a list. What do we need to focus on for our first acts of Presidency?" Sam enters the Andersons' house with a sheet of paper in one hand and Tina trailing closely behind him.