Secrets

a/n: this fic was inspired by a fic called "And All This Time You Held My Heart" by SeblaineAddict, on Ao3. I highly, highly recommend it, as well as her other works, too!! (Warning, it is smut, but she's an amazing writer!) Anyway, there's one line in it that this fic is based off of, but you do not need to read hers to understand this one! 💕

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good job hitting all those notes, Jon. Trent, you're the slightest bit off-key, but nothing that can't be easily corrected. Jeff, your moves are looking much better. It was a great choice getting non-slip shoes. The rest of you, all great; we've made lots of improvement since last week. Let's keep at it to kick ass at Regionals, alright? See you guys later!" Sebastian dismisses the boys with a friendly wave.

"You've been a lot nicer lately," Nick joins Sebastian's side as he takes a sip of water. Jeff's a foot length behind him, waiting for his best friend to walk with him to the dorms.

"I was serious about that whole 'turning over a new leaf' thing."

"It shows," the blond compliments, surprising Sebastian and himself.

"Uh, thanks."

Nick clears his throat, "yeah, um, speaking of being nice, I talked to Blaine yesterday."

"Really? What did he say?"

"He mentioned he misses us. Said his first Christmas not at Dalton was really sad. Even though we all pretty much go home on Christmas Day, it's still beautiful all over campus. And there's no beating the extra-tight community we have, especially in the holiday season. Blaine said McKinley kids take no holidays off to bitch at each other."

"That's unfortunate," Trent, who has taken a seat to get his work done, comments. "Did you tell him he's always welcome back?"

"You know I always do."

"Did you at least say he can visit?"

"Yep. But he said he's just starting to become accepted among them and can't afford a misstep. Coming to see us would lose their trust in him, if he's caught. And we all know Blaine... he's not a good liar."

The truth in Nick's response has them all silent. No one has anything more to say. Blaine's not coming back. That is that.

Eventually, all of them, except Trent, who's studying now, retreat into their own rooms. Nights are spent like any other, and then the final light illuminating Dalton Academy goes out, signaling curfew.

◇◇◇◇

Thursday's Warbler practice goes just as it did the prior day. Notes are good, moves are in-step, and synchronization is achieved. Trent's fixed his off-key problem, earning a pat on the back from Sebastian, and then by the end, the same boys linger in the choir room to chat amongst each other as friends. Which is what they're becoming, ever since Sebastian had 'turned over his new leaf', as he so repeats.

In fact, it's he who starts the conversation that afternoon, asking Nick if he'd had any contact with Blaine since yesterday.

"No, man. I think he's been too busy. He gets like that sometimes - so hyper-focused on a task, nothing else even crosses his mind."

"It's okay, though. Once he's done with it, he'll be back to calling regularly. And that old task will be left in the dust, completely forgotten," Jeff adds, staring ahead as if reminiscing on an old memory of that happening.

"But we won't hear from him until then?"

"Afraid not. Why? Do you need something?"

"What-? No! I just... miss him, I guess. Miss his presence and personality."