Chapter 25

A few days later, Braelyn and Sapphire came back into town. Jaycee and Landen ended up meeting them for lunch down at the pizza place where Dylan and Jaycee went the day they met. She was hesitant about going in, but she finally did after a few moments.

            Jaycee walked into the pizza joint with her black Pennzoil hat covering her eyes. She had on a pair of jeans, a red, grey and black hoodie and a pair of work boots. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail so she could hide it under her hat. Landen had on jeans, a baggy grey T-shirt and a pair of sneakers.

            Sapphire had on a pair of black skinny jeans, a pink tank top, a blue denim jacket and dark blue ballet flats. Her light brown hair was pulled into a braid that was resting on her shoulder. Braelyn had on a pair of blue Dickie shorts, a red and blue short-sleeve flannel shirt and sneakers. She was wearing a black baseball cap that hid her short brown hair and glasses.

"Hey, guys," Sapphire stood and kissed her boyfriend.

"Hey, babe," Braelyn repeated her sister's actions towards her girlfriend.

"Hey, Brae," Jaycee kissed her girlfriend's right temple.

"You look beautiful, babe," Landen told his girlfriend.

"Thank you," Jaycee rolled her eyes at her best friend and his girlfriend then pulled her hat down lower and sat down.

"You okay, Jaycee?" Braelyn asked her.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Just a little tired. I was up half the night."

"Jamming away on your guitar," Landen mumbled.

"Shut up," she pushed her brother.

"Getting better, Jaycee?" Sapphire asked her.

"Yeah. A lot better. Practicing my guitar and being with the pretty girl in front of me had helped me get over Dylan a lot," Braelyn smiled.

"At least you're getting over him," Landen said.

"After three months of crying, four one night stands, a ton of alcohol, two dozen lines of cocaine and half a dozen joints," I'm finally over him."

"That is sad," Sapphire said.

            Jaycee took a sip of the soda that Braelyn ordered for her before she got there. Sapphire probably wouldn't be saying that if her Landen were together for at least as long as she and Dylan were, and she loved him enough that it would destroy her if they broke up. Everybody had their own way of dealing with a break up, and Jaycee dealt with her break up with Dylan by partying her ass off, getting drunk as fuck and higher than a kite, sleeping around, crying her ass off for three months straight and going out with Braelyn.

"How about you go out with Landen for two years then he breaks up with you, and during that time, you fall so deeply in love with him that your break up completely destroys you? When that happens, then come talk to me."

            Jaycee's words left Sapphire speechless. She had never been through a break up as bad as the one Jaycee went through with Dylan. She had, however, gone through one half as bad as Dylan and Jaycee's, but all she did was cry and drink.

"Damn, babe. You have quite the backbone," Braelyn told her girlfriend.

"Things happen, people change," Jaycee said wisely.

"Guess that break up did you some good, huh, Jayce?" Landen patted his little sister's back.

"After I went on a psychotic rampage, and practically destroyed the school then sure."

"God damn, Jaycee," her girlfriend looked at her.

            The waitress set the pizza and wings that Braelyn and sapphire had ordered before Jaycee and Landen had arrived on the table. She gave Jaycee a look of concern, as if Jaycee only did the things she did during a break up because her parents never properly showed her how to handle a breakup. Jaycee had been an only child growing up despite the fact that she has a half-brother and a half-sister from her biological father. She never really cared for either of them, so she considered herself an only child. Her mother wanted to have another child, but she stopped trying after her third miscarriage. Her biological father was never really around when she was growing up, so her stepfather adopted her.

            Her parents had her in therapy since she was in middle school. Every therapist she's been to blamed her way of dealing with her break ups on being an only child, all the miscarriages her mother and stepmothers had and her issues with her biological father. Eventually, she went off on her last therapist, and quit going after her last episode. She was okay with being an only child, and she was fine with her father not being around because she had someone else to take on the role of being her father. Being an only child meant her parents didn't have to completely worry about financial issues, and she got her parents' attention when she needed or wanted it. She got her learner's permit and her driver's license when she was supposed to, she went out with her friends all the time and she always got the necessities she needed when she needed them.