Chapter 15

Dylan went to the restaurant, where he worked, early to set up for his dinner with Jaycee. She got to the restaurant around eight. She was planning to tell him that Axel kissed her, but she figured she would wait until after dinner.

            When she walked into the restaurant, Dylan was sitting at a table in the back. The table had a white table cloth on it, two lit candles and a bouquet of roses. There was romantic music playing throughout the whole building. She smirked when she saw how good he looked. He had on a suit with a white dress shirt and a dark blue tie.

            A smile appeared on his face then quickly disappeared. He skimmed over her black spaghetti strapped dress with a red ribbon wrapped around her waist and her knee-high Converse with rainbow laces. She looked beautiful, but there was no point in looking that beautiful.

“Hey,” he stood up, and kissed her cheek.

“Hey. Happy anniversary. You look good,” he sat down.

“So do you,” she brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

You okay? You seem a bit off.”

“Fine. I’m just happy I got to spend the last two years of my life with the most beautiful woman in the world, and I wouldn’t change it for anything.”

“Awww, Dylan. That’s so sweet of you. Two years is a long time, and I wouldn’t regret spending every second with you if my life depended on it. I’m glad we spent the last two years together,” she said truthfully. “I wouldn’t wanna be with anyone else.”

“So am I. I don’t wanna be with anybody else either, but I’ll understand if you wanna be with somebody else,” dinner was set on the table.

“Dylan, I told you many, many, many times over the past two years that I love you, I’m happy with you, and I don’t wanna be with anybody else. I said what I meant, and I meant what I said.”

“But how do I know that, Jaycee?”

“Where is all this coming from, Dylan? You were never like this in the past two years we’ve been together.”

“I’m just tellin’ you this before we decide to get married. I don’t wanna ask you to marry me then we break up.”

“I don’t. I can’t see myself with anybody besides you, male or female.”

            Dylan had a small feeling that she was telling the truth, but he didn’t want to chance it. He had a feeling she would lie to him if he gave her the chance. He knew it was probably a better idea to let her go without giving her the chance to explain. But Landen would probably be right about Dylan regretting it later.

“Jaycee, I know you and Axel kissed earlier,” he admitted.

“Landen told you about that, huh?”

“I saw it. I was standing outside your house when you kissed.”

“I was gonna explain. I swear it meant nothing to me.”

“Jaycee, if you unhappy in our relationship, you should’ve just told me. I would’ve tried to make you happy again, and if I couldn’t, I guess we weren’t meant to be. I guess we weren’t. But, Jaycee, I really wanted us to be together,” her eyes filled with tears.

“Dylan, you always made me happy, and I wanna be together. Axel kissed me. I didn’t want him to, and I certainly didn’t like it. I don’t like kissing guys unless it’s you. I thought we went over this when we met.”

“We did, but like you said, everybody has exceptions. He could be an exception.”

“But Axel was not and is not an exception, now will he ever be. Kissing any guy to me is like you drinking alcohol.”

“Jaycee, if you don’t wanna be with me, just say it because you’re clearly not happy.”

“I’m only not happy because you’re not listening to me when I say I only wanna be with you for the rest of my life.”

“Well, how can I when I saw you making out in front of me with Axel?”

            Jaycee felt a huge lump in her throat, and her head started spinning. Her eyes started to burn from the tears that were about to form. She knew what was about to come next, but she was hoping she was wrong.

“Honestly, Jaycee, I think you should go back to being a lesbian, and I should try to get on with my life.”

“What are you saying?” her voice broke.

“I’m saying that we should break up,” tears started streaming down her cheeks.

“Dylan, don’t, please.”

“I’m sorry, Jaycee. I love you, and I always will, but I want you to be happy. I think you’d be happier being a normal lesbian again instead of being with me.”

“But I don’t wanna be any girls. I wanna be with you,” she choked out.

“Goodbye, Jaycee,” he got up, and went into the kitchen.

            She sat there, and cried for a little while longer. Dylan was doing the same thing in the kitchen. He wanted to cry in front of Jaycee, but he had to make her think that he didn’t love her, even though he did. He looked out at her through the window in the door. She had been sitting there, crying, for half an hour. He looked away from her long enough for her to pull herself together and leave. She was gone when he looked back at the spot where she had been.