Chapter 32: Alternate Ending

"Ahh!" Jaycee woke up in the middle of the night, screaming.
"You okay, hon?" Dylan groaned after being awokened by his girlfriend.
"Yeah. Just another nightmare."
"About what happened after you found out you were pregnant?" He rubbed his eyes.
"Yeah." They heard crying over the baby monitor.
"I'll get him and check on her." He kissed Jaycee then went to the nursery to check on their twins.
Jaycee curled up under the blanket as Dylan walked out of the bedroom. Even though it was a year ago, she still thinks about her attempted suicide. If Dylan hadn't been calling her name from outside her window, she would've been dead. Instead she spent a couple weeks in the hospital. The doctor wanted to have her put under suicide watch for a week, but didn't under the condition she started attending therapy.
Because of her suicide attempt, the doctor recommended she be on bedrest for the duration of her pregnancy. With the exception of doctor's appointments. She even ended up being homeschooled for remainder of her senior year. Even then, Levi and Lillith ended up being born prematurely at seven and a half months with a hole in his heart and her having a bad case of asthma. After spending a months in the hospital, they are both now a couple of happy and healthy four-month-olds.
After Levi and Lillith were born, Jaycee and Dylan decided they would both continue living in their own houses, and they would take turns spending weekends at either house. This weekend was Dylan's weekend at Jaycee's. Her mom was overjoyed about that because it meant she got to see her grandkids everyday. Her dad was iffy about it, but they had taken a liking to him.
Landen was happy to have the twins over every other weekend. He liked spending time with her niece and nephew. It especially kept him happy after him and Sapphire broke up eight months ago. Thanks to Levi and Lillith, he was upset about that for all of five minutes. What made him even happier was he started dating another girl three months later named Alana.
Alana was basically a female version of Landen. Jaycee was happy when they started dating because he finally found someone who wouldn't try to destroy their friendship or affect his relationship with his niece and nephew. The only problem was Jaycee wouldn't let her around Levi and Lillith until her and Landen have been together at least six months, which he respected. Landen didn't like it, but he understood that it was what Jaycee thought was best for her kids.
Jaycee didn't have anything against Alana. She's just like any other mom: Won't let anybody in their lives unless it's possible they'll have a permanent position. Sapphire called herself the twins' aunt until she broke up with Landen before they were born. She wasn't too thrilled when she still tried to be in their lives. No one has ever seen Jaycee go off so bad.
As for Dylan and Jaycee, they got back together about a month or so after she got out of the hospital. Dylan rarely left her side after she woke up. They talked things out about working things out and how they were going to raise the baby that turned out to be babies. Seeing Jaycee hanging in her closet, and laying in a hospital bed attached to a bunch of monitors, gave him the wake up call of a lifetime. He almost lost her for good once, and he wasn't going to let it happen again.

"So, Jaycee, how have you been?" Her therapist asked her that afternoon at her session.
"Fine. I had another nightmare last night, but that was about it." She said as she patted Levi's back.
"Lillith with Dylan?" Doctor Monroe questioned the obvious.
"As she is is every time I come here. We've come to realize she's a daddy's girl through and through. Just like Levi's a mama's boy."
Jaycee had been seeing Doctor Monroe for about nine months. Sometimes she likes seeing her shrink, and sometimes she wants to throw Levi's car seat at her. Mostly because she'd rather be at home with her children instead of in a shrink's office with her son.
"How old are they now?"
"Four and a half months."
"How did you like being a mom?" She pulled her glasses to the tip of her nose.
"I like it a lot. I'm glad Dylan found me, and I'm glad I didn't lose either of them." She kissed Levi's head. "But for some reason, I feel more connected to Levi than Lillith. I try to bond with her and she won't cooperate. Yet she does it for Dylan. It feels like she likes him more than me. There are days where I have issues taking care of her. Dylan has to do it. It worries me and it hurts a lot. Almost like she hates me."
"Do you give Dylan time with your son so you can have time with your daughter?"
"We've tried it numerous times. It doesn't work. My daughter hates me and it's killing me."
"Jaycee, you've been suffering from depression since you were a kid, yes?"
"Yeah."
"Maybe you've developed postpartum depression too."
The possibility of having postpartum depression had crossed her mind quite a few times. The thought of it alone scared her. She already had depression as it is. She didn't need postpartum on top of it.
They talked some more, and Doctor Monroe decided to prescribe her medication for postpartum. She also suggested the four of the have a night together as a family. Having nights like those were hard because of Dylan working all day, there being two babies instead of one, Jaycee trying to finish school, and her parents always trying to help with the twins.
"Hey, babydoll." Jaycee's father greeted her as she walked through the front door.
"Hi, Dad." She set Levi's car seat on the counter and unbuckled him.
"Dylan took Lillith over to the apartment. He said to wear something nice and they'll be back in a bit."
"Okay. Thanks for watching the twins, Dad."
"You deserve a night without them. You just carried two of them for seven and a half months then spend every second of the damn day with them for the last four and a half months. You earned it, Jaycee."
"Parenting is rewarding, but it's not supposed to be this kind of rewarding."
"You're also nineteen, babydoll. Enjoy the breaks you get."
"Thanks, Dad." She picked Levi up out of his carseat. "Come on, Mr. Man. Mommy has to get changed before Daddy and your sister get back then you are gonna hang out with Grandma and Grandpa tonight." She carried him upstairs.