Chapter 30

A week and a half later, Jaycee and Hazel were sitting on her bed in her room. Her parents were at work, which she was thankful for. Jaycee had told her friend about the afternoon her and Dylan shared after Braelyn had broken up with her. When she got home that night, she had come home to an empty house. As soon as she was sure she was home alone, she burst into tears. If Dylan had the nerve to kiss her and have sex with her, in a cemetery no less, then he should've had the decency to ask her to take him back. When she got home that night, she dragged herself up to her bathroom to take a shower, and the water from the shower mixed with her tears.

That morning, Jaycee had woken up due to a wave of nausea. No sooner had she woken up, she found herself in the bathroom, vomiting. When she was sure that she could go at least ten seconds without vomiting, she looked up at the calendar she kept above her toilet. She had realized her period was late, and remembered her and Dylan hadn't used protection that day. When she finally stopped puking, she got a quick shower, through on a pair of yoga pants and a hoodie along with her hair up in a messy ponytail, hopped in her truck, and drove down to the drug store to get a pregnancy test. She had taken it as soon as she got home and she tested positive. She burst into tears at the sight of the plus sign.

When she pulled herself together, she texted Hazel, and asked her to come over. She was lying on her bed, still in her yoga pants and hoodie, with her laptop on her lap when she got there. Hazel told her if she looked the way she did, it couldn't be good. Jaycee told her that Braelyn had broken up with her, and she didn't really care. Hazel hadn't known until she saw Jaycee about her afternoon with Dylan. She only figured it out then because Jaycee had burst into tears again.

"How did that even happen?" Hazel asked her.

"He saw me get out of the truck when I got home, and I ran to the cemetery that I hang out at. He followed me there. I lied down behind a headstone, so no one could see me, and I had 'Sleeping Beauty' playing on my phone. He told me if I had blonde hair and my shirt was completely pink, I'd look just like her. He said he followed me there, and I didn't look very happy. Then he asked me what was wrong, and I asked him if he still had the timeline I gave him. I gave him an index card that said 'Braelyn broke up with me' to add to the timeline. I told him why she broke up with me, and he asked if I would mean it if I told her I loved her. Honestly, if I had to tell any of my exes I loved them, there's only one that I wouldn't be lying to. Next thing I know, we're having sex. Then I fell asleep. Last thing I remember is him walking me home, and I started crying in the shower."

"Are you gonna tell him?"

"I don't know yet, Hazel. I don't even know if he's want anything to do with me or the baby, or even if I'll have the baby."

"You better have the baby, Jaycee, and you better tell Dylan," she gasped. "Y'all would be such a cute family! Just the three of you! What are you gonna name it?! It better be a girl! You can name it after a car! Or a flower! Or something music related! Or a color! Or something unique! Or Dylan or you or me! Wait, is there a male version of Jaycee?"

"Jayce, and I don't want a boy. Not right now anyway. I want a girl first. I used to think that we'd be married first, and I'd be old enough to legally drink before we had a baby. I used to picture us playing with her and feeding her and holding her and watching her grow up together," her voice broke and she started crying again.

Hazel pulled her friend in for a hug. Jaycee always wanted kids. She just didn't want to have them so young, or plan on having them with a guy. That's the thing about growing up: plans change and people change. She never planned on falling in love with a guy, but she did. She didn't know if she was gonna be a mother or not, or if Dylan would want anything to do with her and the baby if she decided to have the baby.

She pulled away from Hazel as soon as she heard a knock at the door. She ran downstairs to find Landen standing outside. She quickly dried her eyes, and let him in.

"Hey, Jay. You look sad. What's wrong?" He asked her, and she burst into tears again. "It's okay, baby sister. Don't cry."

"Landen, I don't think you'll be happy when she tells you." She looked at Jaycee. "If she tells you."

She started crying harder, and she stumbled up the stairs. Landen and Hazel looked at each other and followed her. When they got up to her room, she was lying face down on her bed, sobbing into her pillow.

"Why is she crying?" Landen asked Hazel.

"Jaycee, should I just tell him?" She started crying more. "Come on, Jaycee. You're not the only girl in the world this happened to."

"Does she have an STD or something?"

"I wish!" She screamed into her pillow.

"What's worse than an STD?"

"It's between her and Dylan. Kind of."

"How is it kind of between her and Dylan?"

"She hasn't talked to him about it yet."

"What, is she pregnant or something?" Jaycee wailed like a siren. "Is that a yes?"

"She found out this morning. She hasn't told anybody yet other than me. She been too busy crying to tell anybody else."

"Not even Dylan?"

"She's too scared to tell him. She thinks if she does, he won't want anything to do with her and/or the baby. She's not even sure if she's gonna have the baby."

"You better have the baby, Jaycee. I'll make you if I have to."

"Then you go tell Dylan that I'm pregnant with his baby. If she says he'll help raise the baby, and he asked me to take him back back, then I'll have the baby."

"Done!" He ran dow stairs and out of the house.

"I'm guessing he really doesn't want me to have a miscarriage."

"I hope you don't."

"Honestly, Hazel, I'll admit I'm so scared, I hope I have a miscarriage."

Landen walked through his front door and ran up to Dylan's room. He was sitting in his bed, playing solitaire. Landen walked right up to him and started shaking him.

"Dude! Please get back together with Jaycee, and be there for her for the next few months!" He begged.

"Why are you shaking me, and why do I have to be there for the next few months?"

"She preggo. With your kid. She says she's not sure if she's gonna have the baby. According to her, she'll only have the baby if you ask her to take her back and you raise it together. If she ended up not having the little one, I'll be pissed at you."

"She's having a baby?" A smile broke out on his face.

"Why are you smiling? You knocked up a seventeen-year-old," he slapped his friend upside the head. "You could get in trouble for that. What's the matter with you?"

"It's mine and Jaycee's kid. I'm having a baby with the woman I love," his phone beeped. "But as of right now, I have to go to work so I can make money to support the baby and the mother of my child. I'll see you later," he walked out of his room.

"That boy is always getting himself into trouble when it comes to that girl."