Chapter 22

Since Dylan was working late that night, Landen and Sapphire took advantage of Jaycee’s idea. Braelyn called and said she was spending the night at Jaycee’s. Landen and Sapphire were lying on his bed, and she was snuggled up against him.

“I love you,” he told her.

“I love you too,” she kissed him.

“Landen? You home?” Dylan called as he stepped through the front door.

“In my room with Sapphire!” he called back.

“I guess it can wait then.”

“No, it’s okay. We’re just lying here,” Sapphire said.

            Dylan walked into Landen’s room to find the complete opposite of what he expected: them both clothed, and on top of his sheets. He gave them a look as if he knew they were hiding something. At the moment, he had more important things to worry about.

“Sapphire, I thought you were bringing your sister.”

“I did.”

“Where is she?”

“Over at Jaycee’s,” Landen told him.

“Jaycee’s?” they nodded. “Why Jaycee’s?”

“Because my sister’s a lesbian, and I think Jaycee would be good for her.”

“You set my girlfriend up on a blind date with your girlfriend’s sister?”

“She’s not your girlfriend anymore,” Sapphire reminded him. “You broke up with her.”

“And you haven’t asked for her back.”

“So, technically, she can date my sister if she wants to.”

“Or you can go over there, and get her back before they make it official.”

            Dylan’s heart started pounding from the anger Landen and Sapphire caused him. Landen knew that he loved Jaycee, and yet he let his girlfriend set her up with her. He felt betrayed by his best friend.

“I’ll be back,” Dylan said as he stormed out of the house.

“Think Braelyn and Jaycee are a thing already?” Sapphire asked her boyfriend.

“Knowing Jaycee, probably not. She’s still in love with Dylan, and she’d probably get with Braelyn to help herself get over him. If she gets with Braelyn, Dylan would accept that she’s moved on, and he’ll move on. Then I won’t have to hear him complain, or watch him drink his life away.”

“That’s a good idea.”

“Thanks.”

            Dylan was standing against a tree outside Jaycee’s house, staring up at her window. He’s done that a few times when they were together, but he hasn’t really done it since they broke up. He usually only did it when he felt like sneaking in her window at night while her parents were asleep. If he did it when they were broken up, it was because he longed for the nights when he was standing outside her window, and she would be staring back at him as if they were Romeo and Juliet. He just stood there, looking up at her window, waiting for her to look down at him.

            Her light was on and her curtains were open, which meant her and, possibly, Braelyn were still awake. He heard a small chuckle come from her room. He had a feeling it was too late to get her back, but he felt like he had to try anyway. He walked up to the door, and hesitated for a few seconds before slowly knocking. It took a couple minutes for her to answer, but when she did, she was wearing a small white T-shirt with black and pink skulls on it and a pair of black underwear with red hearts all over it.

“Dylan, hi,” she said after finally opening the door.

“Hi, Jaycee. Can I come in?”

“Um, now’s not a good time. Sapphire’s sister is spending the night, and we’re kinda hanging out.”

“I know. Landen and Sapphire told me, but I just wanted to know if you and her are a thing now,” Braelyn came downstairs.

“Yeah, we are,” Braelyn threw an arm around Jaycee’s neck. “I’m guessing you’re the ex-boyfriend?”

“Yeah. I’m Dylan,” he stuffed his hands in his the pocket of his jacket.

“I figured, and I’m guessing you know my name too?” he shook his head. “I’m Braelyn.”

“Hi. Can I speak to Jaycee for a minute?” Braelyn looked at her.

“You go ahead. I’ll be up in a minute.”

“Okay,” she kissed her then went upstairs.

            Jaycee opened the door a little wider, inviting him in. She walked around the counter to the fridge and he sat down. She pulled a bottle of whiskey from the fridge, and poured herself a small glass.

“You want a drink?” she asked him.

“Uh, sure,” she poured him a glass, and slid him the glass. “Thanks.”

“Sure,” she took a swig of her drink, and lit up a cigarette.

“So, what’s Braelyn like?” he took a sip of his drink.

“She’s smart and funny and independent. She’s very boyish, he’s into cars, she’s a good artist, she likes video games. She’s everything I want in a woman. She has pretty blue eyes too,” Jaycee took a drag of her cigarette, and blew out a cloud of smoke.

“Sounds like you,” Jaycee took another swig of her whiskey.

“I guess,” she flicked her cigarette. “Is that all you wanted, Dylan?”

“Uh, I actually wanted to ask you something,” he shot back the rest of his whiskey. “But never mind. It’s not important anymore. Thanks for the whiskey, Jaycee.”

“Sure thing,” he got up and left.

            She finished her drink and her cigarette and went back upstairs. She kept thinking back to Braelyn saying they’re a thing now. She hadn’t asked Jaycee to be her girlfriend, nor had Jaycee asked Braelyn to be hers. Sapphire told her sister about Dylan and Jaycee. She probably told him they were together because she wanted her, and it would keep them from getting back together. Whatever the reason, Jaycee only went along with it to make Dylan jealous.

            When Dylan got home, Landen and Sapphire were sitting at the table. They both looked at him when they heard the door slam. He stuck around long enough to tell them Jaycee was with Braelyn then he disappeared into his room.

            Braelyn and Jaycee were lying on the bed in Jaycee’s room. She had her head on Braelyn’s chest, and she had an arm around her shoulders. The light was out, so the only light that was in the room was the light from the moon. Braelyn and Jaycee looked at each other, and then Braelyn brought her lips up to Jaycee’s. Both girls ended up tangled in each other’s embrace.

“You’re beautiful,” Braelyn said against Jaycee’s lips.

“So are you,” she picked at the hem of Jaycee’s T-shirt.

            Braelyn helped Jaycee pull her shirt off, then she pulled Jaycee’s off. Jaycee unbuttoned and slid Braelyn’s jeans off. Braelyn pulled away, and looked at Jaycee.

“You sure?” Braelyn asked her.

“Yeah,” Jaycee nodded.

            Jaycee smashed her lips to Braelyn’s, and wrapped her arms around her neck.

“Are you?” Braelyn nodded.

            Both girls unhooked their bras, and slid off their underwear. Jaycee rolled over on her back, and Braelyn laid on top of her. Braelyn began sucking on Jaycee’s neck, making her moan. Jaycee rubbed Braelyn’s back. The feeling of Jaycee’s fingers on her back made Braelyn moan against her neck.

“This is gonna be one hell of a night,” Jaycee said.