Chapter 20

Jaycee grabbed a bottle of whiskey from the fridge, and sat on the couch. Landen pulled a chair up in front of her. She took a swig of the whiskey.

“What did you need to talk to me about, Jaycee?”

“Did Dylan tell you what he said to me yesterday when he came over?”

“Yeah. He said you snapped at him a lot.”

“I did. Then after he left, I cleaned up my room, took a shower, and went to a party with Hazel and Mckenzie.”

“I know. Dylan and I went to that party last night. Dylan wanted to say something to you, but Mckenzie and Hazel said they didn’t know where you were hiding at.”

            More tears filled her eyes, and she took another sip of whiskey. The guilt of being with Cole was too overwhelming for her. She was surprised that Dylan wanted to see her, to talk to her after she snapped at him multiple times.

“What were you doing when we came to see you, Jaycee?”

“I had a dozen drinks, five joints and a half a dozen lines of cocaine,” tears escaped her eyes. “Then I went upstairs with my friend, Cole, and I fucked him. The whole time, all I was thinking about was every time I was with Dylan. I kept imagining that Cole was Dylan. I don’t get why the drinking, the drugs and the sleeping around aren’t helping me through this break up when they helped me through all the other ones.”

“Jaycee, Dylan’s been beating himself up over breaking up with you. He started drinking because he broke up with you. I told him he was making a mistake, and I was right. He wasn’t himself after I told him about your past, but I only did it because he needed to know how you deal with stuff like that. He wants you to stop. He wants you to stop drinking, stop doing drugs and stop screwing around. He didn’t want you to go with Hazel and Mckenzie last night. He dragged me with him to that party last night because he wanted you to come home with us.”

“Why? Why would he break up with me then come over and pretend he still loves me and he still cares about me then you both show up at a party last night I was at, wanting to tell me to come home with y’all?”

“Because he’s an idiot. You should’ve figured that out at some point during the two years you’ve been together. He was gonna ask you to marry him the night he broke up with you. Last night he had the ring with him when we went to the party.”

“Really?” she looked up.

            Jaycee was surprised at everything Landen was saying. She wanted to believe him because he was her best friend, and he would never lie to her. If Dylan really wanted to be with her, he would’ve asked her to take him back every chance he got over the past two months.

            Landen got up, and went to Dylan’s room. He returned with his grandmother’s ring. Dylan had the pink diamonds replaced with red rubies. He opened the box to reveal the ring he was going to give to Jaycee.

“Oh, my god. It’s beautiful.”

“He said it was his grandmother’s ring. The pink diamonds were replaced because he knew you like red rubies,” he pulled the ring out. “He had it engraved just for you.”

“If he wanted to ask me to marry him, why didn’t he? Why didn’t he ask me to? Why did he break up with me instead?”

“He thought you were cheating on him. I told him you told me about that. I explained to him that Axel kissed you, but it meant nothing to you. He wouldn’t listen to me. He told me about that night. He said he had a feeling you were telling the truth, about wanting to be with him, and you weren’t cheating on him. He said he didn’t wanna chance it. He said something was telling him you were just gonna hurt him. What made him realize how much of a mistake he made was watching you cry from the kitchen.”

“He is an idiot. I told him many times I wouldn’t do anything like cheat or break up with him,” she let out a slight chuckle. “He clearly didn’t believe me when I said it.”

“He wants to know for sure that you’re safe with him. He gets scared every time you drink or do drugs. He almost passed out when I told him about your past. He keeps thinking that you’re gonna get alcohol poisoning or overdose and die. Or every time you screw around, he thinks you’re gonna get an STD, and he won’t be able to be with you anymore.”

            Jaycee looked down at the bottle of whiskey in her hands. She looked from the bottle to the ring to Landen back to the bottle. She knew that if she wanted to be with Dylan again, she’d have to give up drinking, doing drugs and screwing around.

“You’re right, Landen. Thanks,” she handed him back the bottle.

“Anytime, little sister,” she ran back to her house.

            Dylan had been standing on the other side of the street, hiding behind a building, drinking a bottle of soda. He knew Landen told her something, and he would tell him everything that was said. He just hoped that it knocked some sense into her to break her habits.