iii. don't get caught

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

THE SOUND OF A POLICE SIREN pierced into the night quiet. "Ah, shit," Jake cursed, pocketing his keys.

"We can't go out the normal way," Heeseung said. "And we can't drive; that's too conspicuous. We'll have to sneak out."

"Back door?" Jay proposed, and they all nodded.

They stole out the back door hidden within the recesses of the massive kitchen. Then they crept onto the lawn on the mansion's west side, motioning across the driveway to Sunghoon, who was standing by the bumper of his car. He joined them, catching on quickly. The police van was parked to the east, so they were safe. For now.

"I can't get arrested again," Jungwon muttered. "My mom will actually kill me."

"Worst she ever does is take away your Mustang for two weeks," Riki snorted. "A tragedy."

"It was fun last time, though," Sunoo jumped in before things escalated. "Jail's peaceful."

Sunghoon stared at him. "You're a psychopath."

"Yeah, a cute one." Sunoo pouted his lips exaggeratedly, and Sunghoon turned away with a sound of disgust.

"Jail still looks bad on my record," Heeseung said.

"That's tough," Jake said.

The two policemen exited the van, noting the cars in the driveway. "Wait. Did we leave Genny in there?" Sunghoon asked with a start.

"No, I saw her come out," Heeseung said.

"I say we just walk around until the cops leave, then we sleep over at Jaeyun's since all our stuff's still there anyway." Jay raised a brow as he looked around at the rest of them for approval of his plan. "Sound good?"

"Yes," Jake concurred. "You guys can help me clean up, too."

"Fuck no," Riki refused.

"We told you not to have this party," Jungwon reminded his friend.

"And you decided not to listen to us," Sunoo finished. "You're on your own."

The group took the sidewalk from the house on the left, practically tiptoeing as quietly as possible since they were out in the open. The police had already walked into Jake's home and were scanning it for errant teenagers. Jungwon muttered, "They're gonna find all the alcohol. And vapes. And cigarettes."

"And drugs," Riki added, and at Jay's sharp look, he raised his hands up in surrender. "I didn't touch any of it, I swear. It was one of the soccer boys dealing."

"The cops find that shit in my house and I'm dead," Jake hissed.

"Then let's hope they don't," Sunoo murmured.

"Where exactly are we going?" Heeseung cut in to ask Jay as the seven of them walked along the street.

Jay shrugged. "As far away as possible from Jake's house."