xxix. dodgeball

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

JAY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT possessed their gym teachers to organize a full dodgeball PE period for all the senior classes... together.

This was Geumorae. People held on to grudges like black cards.

And this wasn't the cliché boy-girl partner kind. This was every man for themselves. Everybody went out for blood. If you were playing against the chick who you knew had spread a nasty rumor about you last week, well, then, a swift headshot would do the trick.

It was so fun.

Jay leaned against the wall beside Jiana, listening to Genny warn her about Hyunjoo and her lackeys. "They're going to use this to get back at you. Be careful."

Jay cast Jiana a sidelong glance. They locked eyes, lips curving into little smirks. "I'd be more worried for the others if I were you, Gen."

Genevieve gave Jiana an appraising glance. "Maybe you're right. She has that smile on her face again." Genny cocked her head. "Last time I saw her with that expression, she took off her shirt in a room full of people."

"Iconic." Jake sauntered over to them, having caught the tail end of their conversation. "But Genny's right. Hyunjoo literally tried to drown you." He reached forward to tug on a lock of Jiana's hair that'd escaped from her low ponytail, giving her a look that made her blush.

Genny raised her brows at Jay. He shrugged.

Heeseung, Sunghoon, and Aeji walked up to join them. Jay couldn't pinpoint exactly when they'd all begun to clump together like this, but he liked it.

"Jia, if those girls target you, just let me know." Aeji pat Jiana's head, which was funny because she had to reach up to do it. "I have lots of pent-up anger to release today."

"Please do," Sunghoon concurred. "She's so sexy when she plays dodgeball. Or any games involving a ball, really."

Aeji choked on air. Heeseung whirled around to fix Jiana with a thoroughly disgusted look, eyes wide and mouth agape, and she snorted. Jake, Genny, and Jay dissolved into laughter. "What the fuck!" Jake shrieked.

"Sunghoon, learn to shut the fuck up."

"Jealousy is not cute on you, Heeseungie," Sunghoon chirped.

"Hey, guys!" A new voice cut into the conversation, and Jiana turned to see a familiar tall boy with bright pink hair swing an arm around Genny. "What are we giggling about?"

Genny's eyes narrowed at his hand placement. "You'll lose those fingers."

He stepped away immediately, dropping his hands. His eyes roved the group until they rested on Jiana. "Oh, hello. I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting yet." He extended a hand, the movement effortlessly sultry. "I'm Yeonjun."