xxxix. in the aftermath

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

MARCH ROLLED IN, a herald of growth and rebirth. The sun lingered longer, grass formed thick green carpet over the earth, and springtime swept onto the scene like the hero in a healing drama. It was time for the world to wake from its winter slumber.

The morning after that fateful party, Jiana lay in bed. For a moment she'd forgotten about everything. Then a sudden pain in her chest recalled it all back to memory.

She glanced around her room. She really should decorate it soon. But for now Jiana burrowed deep into her covers, the morning sun through her window warm against her face. Outside, trees swayed as soft breeze whispered between their leaves. The early morning sky was a pretty pale pink shade that, despite everything, lifted Jiana's mood a fraction.

Yui entered the room and approached the bed, setting a cool hand on Jiana's forehead. "Rough night?" Jiana nodded. "I'm sorry you didn't have fun. Do you want to talk?" Jiana shook her head. "Okay, well Joon and I are heading to the country club. If you feel better later... you should ask the driver to drop you off."

Jiana nodded.

As Yui opened the door, someone was ascending the marble staircase. "Viv," Yui said, and though she shut the door, Jiana heard her voice lower. "What happened last night?"

"It's nothing, Auntie," Genny hedged.

"At least give me a clue. Was someone mean to her?"

"Not necessarily."

A pause. "Was it a boy?"

Genny didn't offer a reply.

"Which boy?" Yui pressed. "Did he hurt her-"

"The first heartbreak's always the worst. Don't worry so much. Jiana's tough."

"But will she be okay?"

"She'll be more than okay."

"I heard something about a boy," Namjoon said, exiting the studio from across the hallway.

"They're not giving me details." Yui frowned.

Namjoon cocked a brow. "Do I need to sue anyone?"

"No," Genny said.

"Good." He walked away and Yui turned to follow.

"Don't worry," Genny said again. When they left, she pushed in the heavy door to her friend's bedroom. "I'm here!" she trilled.

Jiana rose on her elbows. Genny was brandishing a big bag filled with sweets and pastries she knew Jiana loved. She placed it on the coffee table, handed Jiana an Earl Grey from their favorite coffeeshop, then climbed in bed with her.

Jiana avoided Genny's gaze, afraid her friend would somehow see into her sleep-deprived, mentally disturbed, overthinking brain. She took a sip of the scalding, creamy tea, shutting her eyes as the flavor hit her tongue. Earlier this morning, she'd thrown up all of what she ate yesterday.