vi. the mall

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

WHEN YUI AND NAMJOON mentioned a mall, Jiana envisioned something akin to the nondescript shopping centers she'd known back in Seoul. But this was Incheon. This was Geumhan. And she was learning quickly that, here, everything was bigger, better, and a whole lot more expensive.

This wasn't a mall. It was an entire resort.

Yui was speaking to her, but Jiana's wonder at their destination caused her to tune out. "... custom made, but it'll also be nice to get some everyday stuff from here."

Custom made? Jiana typed quickly into her phone. I don't think I'll need anything that fancy.

Yui raised an amused brow at her. "Of course you will. We need to make sure you're ready for all the year's events. Clothing is armor, you know."

"Just agree so she doesn't start ranting again," Namjoon stage-whispered to Jiana as they strode through one of the mall's entrances.

Jiana nodded, a little freaked out. Sure, it was exciting to swap her previous life for this glamorous one, but this kind of extravagance and spending with such little thought... she simply couldn't relate. Would she ever stop feeling so out of her element?

As if sensing her unease, Namjoon leaned around Yui to speak to Jiana again. "Don't let her scare you," he reassured. "Just have fun today. The mall is fun."

Yui winced. "I'm sorry, I just..." She trailed off, and Namjoon put a comforting hand on her arm. Jiana felt them exchange a glance over the top of her head, and wondered what they were thinking.

Maybe Yui and Namjoon were as familiar with the idea of a daughter as Jiana was with the idea of parents.

For a while, all they did was walk around. The mall was massive, full of sights and rides and shops and eateries and so much more. Jiana had never been anywhere like this before, so she knew she must look a bit like an overeager tourist as she took it all in with a wide-eyed fascination.

"Oh, it's Jin!" Namjoon's exclamation drew her attention to a tall, dark-haired man making his way toward them.

The three greeted each other with the closeness of people who knew each other extremely well while Jiana stood awkwardly to the side. It was "Jin" who turned to her first. He was a beautiful kind of handsome, the kind that immediately made you feel frumpy in comparison. "And you," he said, extending a hand, "must be Jiana."

She took it, nodding in response. His warm smile made her feel infinitely more at ease.

"Nice to meet you," he continued, hardly batting an eyelid when she didn't reply. He must've already been warned about her. Still, Jiana appreciated his taking it all in stride.

"This is Kim Seokjin," Yui introduced. "Our friend, and the superintendent of all schools in the district. He's a big deal."

"Sure," he snorted, then turned to Jiana, reassurance in his gaze. "Don't worry; you'll love Geumorae Academy. It's the best for a reason."