xxi. the dining hall incident

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

"HEY, DON'T WORRY. I'm sure you made it." Jake grabbed Jiana's hand, squeezing to comfort her. "I've seen you dance."

His touch startled her. But once her fight-or-flight instinct passed, Jiana thought Jake's hands felt warm in hers, heavy, reassuring. She liked it.

They held each other's gazes longer than necessary. Jake suddenly took out his wallet, retrieved some money. He gestured for her to do the same, and she did. He laid the two bills out on the table. The two of them had arrived quite early today, so it was only them in the class. "Let's bet. You get the money if you don't make it on the team, and I get it if you do. You in?"

Jiana considered for a second. She'd have to decide, ironically, how confident she was in her lack of ability. Finally, she nodded.

"Let's check." Before she could protest, Jake pulled her from her seat and downstairs to the bulletin board by the main office where the announcement was definitely posted by now. Jiana put her hands over her eyes as they drew closer.

Jake leaned forward to see the list. "Look."

Slowly her fingers fell from her face, and she cracked an eye open to look at the paper. Under the ballet headline, there she was. The very first name.

"Congrats!" Jake grinned widely, pulling her in for an enthusiastic hug, shocking her thoroughly. "Give me my money."

"What's this?" a voice said, and they looked over to see Jay approaching with Jungwon and Riki behind him. "Jaeyun, stop corrupting Jia."

"I'm not!"

Jay turned to Jiana with a smile, his eyes dropping momentarily to where Jake's fingers were brushing against hers. He raised a brow, but said nothing of it. He switched to sign. Good morning, he greeted.

She mirrored the actions before pointing to the sheet.

Riki's eyes narrowed at the list before lighting up. "Yes!" he whooped, then held his hand up for a high-five. "I can't wait to see you dance."

"Me too," Jungwon concurred, excited for her.

Jay smiled. "That's great, Jia. We should celebrate after school today."

"Congratulations." They all turned to see Hyunjoo stroll over to the board. To Jiana's dismay, Hyunjoo's name was there too, under the ballet group. Jiana's elation dampened.

"Thanks, now leave," Riki drawled.

Hyunjoo's eyes narrowed at the younger boy, but there wasn't much she could say in front of all of them. She simply ignored him, looking only at Jiana. "It won't be easy. Good luck."

"She doesn't need it," Riki snapped.

Jay jumped in. "See you around, Hyunjoo." The dismissal was clear.