xix. going out

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

"SORRY, I CAN'T. I'm going out with Riki."

Nina's lips drew down in a disappointed pout. "You're ditching me for him?"

Dami shrugged apologetically. "We'll go shopping another time."

Nina narrowed her eyes at her friend. "Is something going on?"

"What? No." Dami chuckled. "I just have a boyfriend now."

"Hmm." They paused by Dami's locker, Nina leaning on the wall beside. "You have been weird lately..."

"Because I didn't go shopping?"

Nina sighed. "Look, you can always talk to me."

"You shouldn't," a new voice said, and they turned to see the Devil himself striding down the hall toward them. He gave Dami a little smile as he came up, then grinned widely and insincerely at Nina. Her teeth gritted.

"Nishimura," she hissed.

"Xu," he replied easily.

"Good to see you, alive and well."

He flicked his eyes over her. "Wish I could say the same."

"Alright!" Dami cut in. "Since you're both incapable of holding a single civil conversation, we're leaving." She took Riki's hand, shooting Nina an apologetic glance. "I'm sorry again. Let's reschedule for next week?"

"Sure." Nina waved her off. "Good luck with him." She whirled around, hair whipping behind her as she walked off.

Dami looked up at Riki. "Where are we going?"

"Tokoyochi's," he replied immediately, referring to the Japanese restaurant he most frequented, and Dami groaned.

"We're always getting Japanese food."

"I'm always craving it after school," Riki contested, side-eying her as they walked along the hallway. "We can go somewhere else, but you'll have to get the bill."

"Tokoyochi's it is," Dami muttered.

Eyes followed them as they exited the building. Dami smiled with satisfaction at the girls shooting her poisonous looks of jealousy. Let them be jealous. She'd won; her boyfriend wasn't just wildly popular, tall, and handsome; he was also immensely rich and got her anything she wanted.

"I need to talk to you about something later," Riki said as they entered his car. He greeted the driver and told him where they were going before settling in the backseat with Dami.

"Oh?" Dami responded, shooting Riki a dubious look. "Sounds ominous."

He didn't reply. They both took their phones out. Dami thought about peeking over at Riki's screen, but found that she didn't care nearly enough to do so. Instead, a little grin crept up her lips when a text notification from Jungwon came through.