lviii. seems like something's up

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

"YOU'RE DISTRACTED TODAY."

Across the park table, Jiana locked eyes with her chess partner. They'd made a regular thing of randomly meeting in the park to play chess in the mornings, despite knowing little to nothing about each other. Under usual circumstances, Jiana would've been wary. But her gut told her there was no reason to be.

His brow was raised, awaiting a response. She sighed, shot him an apologetic smile. Sorry, she mouthed.

"Don't be. I have a lot on my mind, too." He absently checkmated her, a move he'd have foreseen sooner on a normal day. "You're getting too good."

She smiled slyly, reaching for her phone. Chess.com, she typed.

"Ah. My son tried to learn from there, once. He got bored very fast."

Jiana hesitated a bit, then typed, What's on your mind, Mister?

"We're in a park, so just call me Mr. Park." Her nose scrunched, and he laughed. "It's, well, my son." He shrugged. "That all parents do, right? Worry about their kids."

Why are you worried?

Mr. Park blew out a breath, regarding her. "Let's just say I haven't been a very good father, and I've been feeling guilty for a long time." He paused. "I could suppress those feelings before, but now... Now he's growing up and I feel... helpless?"

Jiana cocked her head. Why did you suppress your feelings?

"Shame. Fear." He sat back on the chair. "I was a coward. Still am."

Well, she began, I'm sure your son would appreciate you starting now as opposed to never trying at all.

Mr. Park shook his head, squinting against the bright sunlight filtering through the trees' fluttering leaves. "I've had years to try." He folded his hands on top of the table. "I miss him, but we're so estranged that it's like we've haven't really met."

Have you been absent a long time?

"No. But there's a difference between being in someone's life versus being involved in it."

Jiana nodded. I think... personally, if my biological parents finally reached out to me, yes I would probably be resentful. But somewhere deep down, I'd appreciate the fact that they tried. I'd like knowing there was an effort made. Even if I still didn't want them, and it didn't change anything.

"That's very... honest." His lips pursed, in thought. "Yeah. At least you can't say you didn't try."

She nodded.

Mr. Park considered that. Then his wry smile turned teasing. "You know, you're much smarter than you look."

She rolled her eyes. I also don't look like I can beat you at chess, but watch me.