lxxi. i think i like you

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

"GENEVIEVE TOLD ME YOUR your relationship is fake."

Yeonjun hadn't expected Minju to speak to him, and he definitely didn't expect what she just said. He shuffled to one side of the counter to wait for his bread to be packaged. The bakery was full today, and he'd had the misfortune of running into his ex. His brows lifted. "Come again?"

Minju watched him, hawk-like as she balanced the box of donuts in her arms. "She said you started dating because you wanted to make me jealous and she needed to stop the rumors going around about her."

"When did she tell you this?"

"We ran into each other in a boutique yesterday." She stepped directly in front of him. "It's true?"

"Absolutely not."

"I know you want to keep your pride, but..." Minju shrugged. "Honestly, I'm flattered you'd go so far for me."

"We did not get together because of you, Minju," Yeonjun said with a note of irritation.

"Listen-"

He sighed heavily to interrupt her. "You were an excuse."

Minju's brow furrowed. "What?"

"You were an excuse to approach her." Yeonjun shrugged. "If you really have to know, I'd been admiring her for a while. But she always ignored everyone. I was just surprised seeing you that day at the bakery, but she thought I wasn't over you, and I didn't correct her."

"Why?"

"I wasn't going to let the opportunity to get closer to her slip away." He rolled his eyes. "Now I have to out myself because she probably knows you talked to me. Why were you pressing her for answers anyway?"

"I just... I thought..." A hot flush crept up Minju's cheeks, and she took a step backward.

"You broke up with me because you, and I quote, didn't want to start our last year of high school with a boyfriend. I was sad because I liked you. But that was then. This is now." He peered down at her. "Are we done here?"

"Yeonjun."

"I don't think we have anything else to talk about, Minju." The baker called for him to come get his bread, so he turned his back on her and went to pay. By the time he'd finished, Minju was gone.

Yeonjun didn't bother connecting the bluetooth audio as he drove to the junkyard, alone with his nervous thoughts. She'd mentioned that she'd be working there today. For Genny to have told Minju everything meant she no longer cared about keeping up the charade. What did that mean for them? Did this mean she was done with him, too?

The kid at the desk waved him towards the back with little fuss. Yeonjun followed the twists and turns of the hallways until he arrived outside, and sure enough, her feet were peeking out from underneath a vintage Corvette.