xviii. new rules

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

"DO YOU HAVE AN STD?"

Genevieve choked, nearly spilling her cereal all over her uniform vest. "Who told you that?"

Jacqueline gave her a level look. "Does that matter?"

Genny sighed. "Maman. You shouldn't believe every single thing you hear."

"It sounded legitimate."

"It's not. I'm safe and get tested all the time." It was strange, saying all this to her mother, but Jackie already knew it all. There was no use beating about the bush. "I'm careful, so you don't have to worry."

"I'm more worried about the fact that you could get one. There is a limit to how safe you can be with your habits, Viva."

Genny was silent.

Jackie heaved a sigh. "It's time we set some rules."

"Mom." Genny spoke in disbelief.

Jacqueline set her cup down on the enormous counter, her beautiful face set in hard lines. "I am your mother. I love you; I want to keep you safe. I'm not doing that if I know you're recklessly sleeping around and not doing anything about it."

"Mom-"

"I've been a terrible parent, I know. But not anymore." Jackie breathed in deep. "Genevieve, you will stop sleeping with random people. It isn't healthy, physically or emotionally. I'm disappointed because I thought you knew better."

"But-"

"And this late-night gallivanting, coming home at unearthly hours after drinking will stop, too. You're underage, for God's sake."

Genny's mouth dropped open. She'd been allowed to run free as long as she could remember. Jackie had always frowned on helicopter parenting, and she'd let her daughter do as she pleased. Genny had never been grounded, or gotten things taken away, or been punished. Why was it happening now?

Jackie kept going. "I won't stop you from having a boyfriend. I won't even stop you from doing... that. Kids your age are idiots. But I'd feel much better knowing you were at least being less stupid by having one sexual partner you know you're safe with as opposed to a string of random people who could give you a debilitating disease."

Silence.

"I'd rather you started dating someone, actually," Jackie went on. "I don't know where this new I-don't-trust-anybody attitude came from, but it can't be good."

Genny was still in shock. "Are you serious?"

"Do I sound like I'm joking? And from now on, either come straight home or let me know exactly who you're going out with, where to, and when you'll be back. You'll be an adult soon enough, but I need to teach you to be more responsible while I can."