xxxiv. saint valentine's day

◦◦◦

◦◦◦

VALENTINE'S DAY AT GEUMORAE Academy was yet another event that was always blown way out of proportion.

Hallways were outfitted in gaudy pink and red and white decorations. Couples openly strode through holding hands. UNICEF Club hosted Candy Grams, where you could buy a little candy package for someone, friend or crush or anything, address it to their class, and they'd receive it in first period. The Student Council's Valentine's Dance was also that evening.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Ni-ki!" A group of girls greeted him, giggling as he walked past, and he managed a smile at them before turning to open his locker and making a face.

Two people were literally groping each other beside him, emitting revolting smacking sounds as they made out like they were the last two people on earth."Christ," Riki snapped irritably. "It's too fucking early. Go home if you're that horny." They just blinked at him, dazed. "Go." They scurried off.

As Riki took out his books, a rose-gold envelope on top of his things caught his eye. He slipped it between his folders as he trudged to class.

"Rough morning, Riki?" Mr. Ko sounded amused as the boy stomped into the mostly full classroom.

"Rough day," he grumped, dropping into his seat.

His friend and desk partner, Shota, piped up, "Ni-ki's a Valentine's hater because his last girlfriend turned out to be a criminal. Ow!" Riki had smacked the back of his head hard.

"Well, we all have at least one unfortunate ex," Mr. Ko reassured him.

"Teacher! Are you dating anyone?" The question came from some girl sitting at the front whose name Riki didn't care to remember.

"Not right now, sadly," the teacher answered, and the girls tittered. Riki just rolled his eyes.

"It's King Nina," Riki muttered lowly under his breath as she walked through the classroom door. But she didn't even spare him a glance as she took her seat. Something seemed different about her today. There was a determined sparkle in her eye that he hadn't seen in a long time. Her shoulders were back, head high.

He was still watching Nina when the bell rang for class to begin. Bada from UNICEF club started handing out Candy Grams. "Riki, twenty-eight for you." Bada piled them onto his table. "Shota, fifteen."

"You want mine?" Riki offered, and Shota nodded rapidly. Riki dropped some on his desk.

"What about the others? You don't like candy."

"I have a friend who does." Riki pocketed the rest. Jiana was even worse than Shota when it came to sweets.

Shota ripped the labels and messages off the candy packs. "Wait. Nina sent you a Gram."