lxvi. mei was here

◯◯◯

◯◯◯

HEEJI TIPTOED THROUGH the front doors, stepping into the dark. Blinking blearily, she fumbled for the light switch before flicking it on. She took off one shoe, letting out a bloodcurdling shriek when she saw her brother lounging on the couch with a glass of wine in hand.

"Oppa." Her heartbeat slowed. "What on earth are you doing?"

"You're late," Heeseung said, swirling the liquid around in the glass.

Heeji ducked her head so her hair obscured her face. "I lost track of time."

"You have a curfew."

"Please don't tell Mom and Dad." She scurried out of the foyer and past the sitting room to the staircase. She had a foot on the first step when he called her back.

"Hey," Heeseung said, getting up. "Wait."

Heeji froze.

Heeseung stalked toward her. Before she could move away, he reached out to gently push a lock of her hair behind her ear, revealing an angry, ugly bruise beneath. Something flashed in his gaze for the barest fraction of a second.

"What's this?" he asked calmly.

"I fell."

"You fell." His tone was flat.

"Yes."

He stared at her, unspeaking.

"I'm sorry, okay? You were right. You were so right." Heeji wasn't sure where the tears came from. "We were arguing and he hit me. You don't have to say you told me so. I'm an idiot. Can we move on?"

"You're not an idiot."

"I am!" she yelled, sniffling. "I should've listened but I didn't-"

He cut her off, pulling her into a hug. She let him, crying into his chest. He patted her back as she clutched his shirt. Growing up, it had been lonely with just Heeji and her mother. She'd been so excited to have a brother, and Heeseung hadn't disappointed. Here was where she felt safest in the world. She should've listened.

Heeseung pulled back to dry her tears with his sleeve. "Did you break up with him?"

Heeji nodded.

"Good, good. You did well." Heeseung ruffled her hair.

"You're taking this much better than I thought you would."

"Yeah?" he grinned, and something about it gave her pause. "Why were you hiding this from me? You really thought I'd be smug about you getting hit?"

She coughed. "I just... I mean, you were right."

"That's hardly the point."

"I know."